Youth Programme Specialist, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – UNDP
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Youth Programme Specialist, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – UNDP
Job Identification : 1917
Locations : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : P3
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Inclusive Growth
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Other Criteria : Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents.
Required Languages : English
Desired Languages : French
Over the past few years, Africa has been experiencing rapid and substantial changes in the size of its population, particularly the youthful component. While the growing youth population presents important opportunities, especially in the form of the demographic dividend, there are many challenges attendant to such rapid rates of growth.
Due to the complexity and diversity of the African youth context, UNDP has recognized the need for collaborative, adaptive and innovative approaches, particularly in mutually reinforcing ways, at the continental, regional and country levels and with the support of a host of different partners committed to the development of young people.
Regional Service Centre for Africa
UNDP’s Regional Service Centre for Africa is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. With additional offices in Dakar, Pretoria and Nairobi, it serves 46 Country Offices in sub-Saharan Africa, develops high-quality knowledge and policy, and is the organization’s main interface with regional and continental bodies such as the African Union and the Regional Economic Communities.
The work builds on UNDP’s expertise in development thinking and practice and decades of experience working at the country and global level.
Governance and Peace building
UNDP’s governance and peace building work focuses on developing knowledge, providing policy advice and country office programme support in the following areas: conflict prevention and peace building; inclusive political processes and elections; enhancing voice and participation; responsive institutions and anti-corruption; and the rule of law, justice and security.
The Regional Youth Team
- The Regional Youth Team, which lies within the Peacebuilding pillar, provides technical expertise towards responding to regional and country youth development needs. Within the framework of UNDP’s Renewed Strategic Offer for Africa, the Regional Youth Team approach towards youth empowerment is to ensure youth inclusion as active change agents rather than passive recipients of development assistance, and prioritizes the following:
- Shifting focus from expert-led to youth and women-led employment and empowerment approaches. This approach, through the use of “enabling policy” platforms promoting stronger citizens voice, will involve government and all relevant stakeholders and take a broader approach to addressing the underlying economic, social, cultural and political factors that serve as barriers for youth and women’s empowerment and employment.
Mainstreaming youth and women empowerment into UNDP country support, while consolidating regional flagship initiatives and creating alignment, synergies and synchronization, particularly among them.
- Adopting a comprehensive approach to supporting the role of youth and women in rural development, fragile and conflict settings, and other contexts, and in becoming empowered as change agents.
- Leveraging the digital revolution through platforms that enable more youth and women to have more proactive roles as citizens, help them gain access to services and resources that promote employment and entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership (especially in the context of the informal economy.
UNDP further implements a number of dedicated regional youth and women empowerment initiatives, that seeks to harness the abundant entrepreneurial, creative, and innovative spirit and ensure their participation in leadership and decision-making processes.
- Youth as a cross-cutting area in UNDP’s regional work calls for effective coordination with other thematic areas, and among partners and stakeholders at regional and national levels.
- The Youth Programme Specialist will be working within the regional youth team led by the Youth Empowerment Specialist, reporting to the Regional Peace building Advisor who is responsible for the implementation of UNDP`s regional youth programme, and under the overall leadership of the Governance and Peace building Coordinator.
- The Youth Programme Specialist`s primary focus will be to work closely and provide support to UNDP sub-regional hubs and country offices in Africa towards implementation of effective youth programmes , policies and partnership; articulate a clear youth service offer from the Regional Service Centre; establish linkages among partners and stakeholders working on youth development in Africa.
- The Youth Programme Specialist will be reporting to the Regional Peace building Advisor, with a secondary reporting line to the Youth Empowerment Specialist based in the UNDP RSCA, IN Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Peace building Advisor and Youth Empowerment Specialist, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities
Provide technical expertise to UNDP country offices in all Regional Bureau for Africa countries towards development and implementation of responsive youth policies and programmes, as well as foster linkages and knowledge exchange between initiatives. This would further entail mapping and needs assessment processes towards informing UNDP’s regional response.
Support formulation of trans-formative national development plans and programmes that integrate deliberate job creation and active youth engagement.
- Coordinate support for youth-led initiatives towards peace building, climate action, and socio-economic development.Provide substantive support to consultative processes as well as implementation of a robust and responsive regional governance and peace building framework on youth.
- Support the formulation and ope-rationalization of robust youth programmes and foster collaboration on youth development with the African Union, Regional
- Economic Communities, and other regional stakeholders
Coordinate and support UNDP’s knowledge development on youth in Africa.
- Support formulation of multi-stakeholder communities of practice on youth in coordination with UNDP country and regional youth focal points.
- Coordinate programmatic activities with other thematic teams, such as Gender and AfCFTA, as it relates to youth empowerment.
- Support development of African youth capacity to actively engage in business, management and entrepreneurship through training, mentoring and apprenticeship programmes.
- Facilitate youth and SMEs access to innovative finance by partnering with financial institutions, private sector, bilaterals, NGOs and foundations.
Establish and maintain strategic partnership and implement the resources mobilization strategy:
- Support partnership development and resource mobilization for the regional and country level youth programmes, and coordinate existing youth initiatives with key stakeholders.
Establish and maintain communication with UNDP country offices, UN agencies ministries of youth, CSOs, Private sector, and other key partners towards collaboration on youth initiatives.
- Support development and implementation of strong resource mobilization strategy for the regional youth programme, including mapping and analysis of potential donors, bilaterals, and regional partners.
Ensure efficient financial management, advocacy, programming, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and representation:
- Facilitate collection of knowledge from national and regional youth interventions to feed into the overall regional results framework, and ensure efficient monitoring, evaluation, and reporting in close coordination with regional and national youth focal points.
- Ensure proper monitoring of progress against annual workplan and prepare quarterly, annual reports, and other documents for the management and reporting of regional youth programme activities.
- Manage the accurate and timely reporting on the progress of the youth programme with specific focus on the activities and funds utilized.
- Support effective implementation of the youth programme in accordance with the budget. c4JQZlL DmW33q
- Ensure overall accountability and effective use of youth programme funds as well as strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations in the related operations.
Ensure Knowledge Building and management:
Support development of effective knowledge management repository in coordination with UNDP regional and country office youth focal points.
Participate in Task Forces and other ad-hoc internal working groups on cross-cutting themes as requested supervisor.
Support effective external communication of ongoing regional and national youth activities.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade, and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies
- Collaboration and Partnerships
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, InterAgency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
Facilitation and Knowledge Exchange
- Ability to harvest country voices for global policy dialogues on policy and financing frameworks
Master’s degree in international relations, management, economics, social sciences, business and entrepreneurship studies, or related area.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
Prior experience working on youth related projects is required.
Experience working in areas related to youth empowerment at policy and/or programmatic levels.
Experience engaging with multi-stakeholders in youth development initiatives is desirable.
- Experience in engagement with the African Union (AU)/Regional Economic Communities (RECs) is desirable.
Experience with UNDP/United Nations and/or the AUC /REC is desirable.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
French is desirable
How to Apply
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment. To apply click the following link below
Application Deadline :Apply Before : 01/18/2022, 04:59 AM
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels:
- Total Jobs 14 Jobs
- Location Addis Ababa