WFP Vacancy: IT Solutions Associate (Database), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps com- munities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
These position is located in WFP Ethiopia Country Office based in Addis Ababa. Under the direct supervision of the IT Officer (Head of IT unit), the incumbent will be responsible for the overall accountabilities and specific job requirements outlined hereunder.
To provide technical support on the development, maintenance, testing and implementation of a portion of IT solutions in line with business requirements.
- Write program code in order to support the development and implementation of efficient and effective IT solution components.
- Keep up-to-date technical systems documentation for developed IT solutions in order to support systems maintenance.
- Perform unit and integrated testing of new, enhanced or fixed code in order to ensure completeness and adherence to technical specifications.
- Assist in the installation, configuration and customization of IT systems ensuring compliance with WFP’s IT standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Assist in the release of IT systems and provide early life support in order to prepare for and enable proper use of the IT solution.
- Resolve users queries independently, escalating if required, to ensure that standard IT questions are answered and accurate information is provided.
- Assist in the preparation of materials and the delivery of trainings on automated business processes to ensure efficient and effective use of IT systems.
- Collect and collate data, conduct basic analysis to support the development of accurate reports.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Contribute to the base lining and tracking of business requirements through to implementation for efficient management of change;
- Test and analyze IT solutions and document the match against business requirements for quality and accuracy;
- Prepare clear technical systems documentation for developed IT solutions in order to facilitate IT systems development and maintenance;
- Provide technical support for the system which is being used as Information and Knowledge Management portal;
- Undertake upgrading of the existing local systems whenever the need arises;
- Identify and Analyze user requirements so as to enhance functionality of the existing local or corporate systems;
- Identify new emerging IT technologies, select appropriate one for implementation in order to ensure efficiency and user satisfaction;
- Develop reports after identifying gaps in the existing systems and assist in monitoring them;
- Has aided IT team members in building technical skills and staying abreast of industry developments.
- Perform other related duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Sound judgment; ability to understand, interpret, analyses users requirements.
- Ability to resolve operational problems.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision; to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of web2.0/3.0 technologies.
- Sound knowledge of Relational Database (MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL).
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in Computer Science, Information sciences, information systems, electrical/computer engineering or other related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 21 June 2017