WFP Vacancy: IT Operations Officer Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps communities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in Addis Ababa Country Office. The Jobholder reports to a more senior Information Technology (IT) Officer, Country Director or the designate.
Jobholders operate with minimal supervision, and provide guidance to junior staff to ensure that objectives are achieved. They are responsible for a broad range of daily activities, analytical work and deliver technical support by modifying existing systems, and resolving straightforward issues/problems. They also develop and/or support the usage of systems and applications, data and databases.
To deliver efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, contributing to sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
- Contribute to the development of plans and budgets, and manage the deployment of IT/TC systems aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
- Monitor and maintain IT/TC systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; contribute to technology upgrades as required.
- Contribute to technical specifications and tender documents that support the procurement of IT/TC equipment and services at minimum cost, in line with WFP rules and regulations.
- Collate and analyse data to contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC activities, investments and costs, identifying ideas to increase cost-efficiencies where possible.
- Maintain and develop technical expertise and understanding of industry developments.
- Provide advice to managers and users, understanding and resolving issues, and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Contribute to the capability building of staff through the review and/or design of appropriate training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and Telecommunications.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to align activities and maximise possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and TC.
- Interact effectively with internal and external colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP is able to maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Contribute to the preparation of operational plans and deliver resource requirements at the onset of an emergency.
- Perform other duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has coordinated and managed small or medium projects at HQ and field Office.
- Has assisted in change management procedures, activities and processes at HQ and field.
- Has assisted in establishing standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain or at a HQ and field Office.
- Has successfully performed installation or testing of new hardware for improving or upgrading systems performance.
- Has proven experience analyzing service management results and developing service enhancement recommendations.
- Has keen ground-level experience implementing IT and telecoms systems in emergencies.
- Has experienced in LAN, WAN, WLAN, VSAT and PABX installation and troubleshooting, Exchange Server based messaging system administration, Office 365 desktop applications support, Microsoft Active Directory Infrastructure, IT Helpdesk support, and IT asset management.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Experience: University Degree with 3 years of professional experience in related field, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, OR a Master degree with at least 1 year of professional experience in related field. Trained on Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Operating System Platform; Cisco Certified (CCNA), Trained and Certified on Wireless Network infrastructure.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.