United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position
Web Developer, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – UNOPS
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. Since 2014, the UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti. The UNOPS Ethiopia multi-country office team is composed of approximately 100 national and international women and men, and offers a broad range of services such as infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial and human resources management.
UNOPS and the ECA have partnered together to deliver on a project that will put in place the critical business systems and services to enable the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to go beyond its current regular operations and effectively deliver on its Business Plan mandate of becoming Africa’s premier think tank. Five specific outcomes are foreseen, which are the results of the implementation plans of four corporate strategies introduced for communications, publications, knowledge management and ICT for Development. When attained, the outcomes will result in a sustainable increase in the visibility and impact of the organization’s work in the areas of policy research and knowledge delivery. This recruitment initiative is carried out by UNOPS in support of ECA’s Information Ans Communication Technology Support Section (ICTSS) strategic intent. It is with this objective that UNOPS advertises these opportunities in partnership with ECA.
- The Web developer will be reporting to the ITCSS/SAU Chief of the unit and will be responsible for the following duties.
- Responsible for the overall development process of web-based applications and assures that all code contributed is in line with OICT and UNECA/ICTSS functional specifications.
- Design client-side and server-side architecture components as required to meet the needs of the Communications Section of ECA.
- Designing user interactions and building the front-end of the UNECA public site and intranet as a thematic portal through appealing visual and responsive technical design.Ensuring the entire stack supporting the UNECA public site and other applications are designed and built for speed and scalability i.e. develop and manage well-functioning databases, web servers, applications, and other IT elements required for the effective functioning of the developed and maintained websites.
Write effective Application Program Interfaces (APIs) to interact with ECA’s intranet and its features/functions as required.
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software as required.
- Create security and data protection settings in line with the UN IT Security Standards and Guidelines including the coordination of IT Security Assessments of the Regional
- Knowledge Management Hub as required.
- Write technical documentation as required.
- Provide enhancement, upgrade, maintenance, operation of applications and user support to end users, following ITIL best practices and industry standards, resulting in smooth operation of deployed applications and services.
- Provide production, dev, and test server (Linux, Apache, MySQL…) configuration, administration, and monitoring to ensure optimal and smooth operation of deployed applications and services.
- Follow DevOps practices to shorten the system development life cycle and provide continuous delivery with high software quality for existing and new applications in
- Azure Cloud.
- Any other relevant activities as assigned by the supervisor.
A Masters degree, preferably in computer science or engineering or information systems or other related is required OR A Bachelor degree in the above mentioned subjects with two (2) additional years of required experience can be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree.
- A combination experience with layout and design applications and responsive and adaptive design – 2 years
A combination of experience of design custom tailored Drupal solutions including data, display and information architecture, creating Drupal custom modules, knowledge of PHP and Drupal theme functions/theme layer-3 years
- A combination of experience in Apache web server configuration and administration -2 years
Fluency in spoken and written English and the local language (Amharic) is required.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractual Agreement
Contract level: LICA-10
Contract duration: 1 year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How To Apply
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1648676413087
Closing Date:April 11,2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: