United States Peace Corps Ethiopia is seeking to employ an educational technical trainer, please find the specification for the job attached on the vacancy announcement.
POSITION TITLE: Education Technical Trainer
OPENING DATE: January 24, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Open till filled
WORK HOURS: Full-time 40 hours/week
LOCATION: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
ELIGIBILITY: U.S. Citizens and Ethiopian Nationals are eligible to apply
SALARY: Annual Salary range: $23,000– 30,000, depending upon experience. Benefits include: Housing.
The Education Technical Trainer leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of a professional training sequence of integrated technical learning activities designed to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for Peace Corps Volunteers to work effectively as English Teachers in rural high schools across four regions of Ethiopia. The Education Project is a TEFL certification program whereby Volunteers undergo comprehensive TEFL training and assessment during their service, with the expectation that they will qualify to be TEFL certified by the end of their two years of service. This position reports to the Education Program Manager and works under the supervision of the Training Manager during Pre Service Training. The Director of Programming and Training is the evaluator for the position.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in TESOL, TEFL, English language learning, or linguistics, plus teaching certification (if candidate does not have teaching certification, 5 years of demonstrated professional teaching experience plus a Bachelor’s degree is required)
- Minimum of two years’ experience teaching English in the classroom setting (primary or secondary level).
- At least two years’ experience designing and facilitating training utilizing participatory and non-formal adult education techniques.
- Specialized knowledge or experience in all or most of the following:
- Supporting the professional development of English teachers in their English proficiency and student-centered teaching techniques
- Working knowledge of language learning theories and philosophies and experience adapting and designing interactive language teaching methodologies
- Creating teaching materials
- Reviewing, adapting and training from a formal curriculum such as textbooks and syllabi
- Developing classroom-based and general communication skill assessments
- Communicative learning techniques
- Developing afterschool and summer youth programs focused on English proficiency
- Using on line learning modules for technical training and communities of practice
- The certification process and requirements for TEFL or TESOL
- Native fluency level in reading, writing and speaking English required.
- Advanced computer skills, including database management and Microsoft Office software skills (Excel, Word, Access, Publisher, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to live in community-based training site for duration of Pre-Service Training (3 months a year).
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and in a fast-paced and high-stress work environment.
- Experience working in multicultural setting with U.S. Americans.
- A Master’s degree in English, TEFL, TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or education related field.
- Returned Peace Corps Volunteer status is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Ethiopian education system and English language curriculum.
- Experience mentoring and coaching others with emphasis on the cross cultural adjustment process.
- Familiarity with Ethiopian culture, language, communities, and geographical regions.
See How To Apply Below