Transport Manager B3 (20/20 ADD)
Main purpose of job:
To oversee the day-to-day running of the British Embassy transport section, providing a quality and efficient service to staff and stakeholders in compliance with British government policies / procedures.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Plan, organise and direct the administration of the British Embassy transport requirements, staff duty rosters including vehicle fleet management and deployment.
- Implement and monitor the delivery of the Embassy transport policy.
- Prepare and monitor annual/quarterly budgets for the transport team, prudently managing, authorising, recording and regularly reporting on all expenditure
- Ensure effective and efficient management of all resources; vehicle replacements, servicing, spares and fuel stocks.
- Manage and supervise a Deputy Transport Manager and a pool of 14 embassy drivers.
- Close supervision of the official pool of vehicles, ensuring valid documentation, proper maintenance, driver competence and adherence to health, safety and security regulations.
- Central point of contact for liaising and communicating with various customers, internal and external partners on all transport related matters.
- Negotiation with commercial partners (dealers, garages, insurance agents, fuel suppliers) to ensure VFM for HMG on all transport related purchases and contracts
- Plan and co-ordinate logistical arrangements for VIP visits and up-country journeys
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Deputy Transport Manager and 14 Pool Drivers
- 1 armoured vehicle, 50 soft skinned vehicles, diesel fuel and vehicle spare parts stocks.
- Management of £140k operational running cost budget
- 3+ years of experience in Transport or Logistics management roles
- Experience of managing a large team to deliver a quality service in a high pressure environment
- Fluent in English and Amharic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Budgeting and Financial management experience
- Must hold a valid 3rd grade / equivalent driving license
- Relevant educational qualifications (Business and Logistics related Degree or Professional Qualification)
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Mandatory e-learning courses
On the job development opportunities
L&D opportunities throughout the FCO network
Full-time position with core working hours between 08.00 -16.45 Monday to Thursday and 08.00-13.00 Friday.
However, the jobholder will need to be flexible to respond to operational demands as need arises.
Locally engaged staff of all grades will be entitled to paid annual leave as follows:
Up to 2 years 22 days
After 2 years services 25 days
After 5 years services 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the British Embassy observes up to a maximum number of 14 Ethiopian, British and Religious public holidays each year. A list of such Embassy holidays will be published each year. Office Staff required to work on these holidays will be granted time off in lieu or overtime where circumstances permit.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay the fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ethiopia with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British Embassy in Addis Ababa is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- In addition to salary the successful applicant will receive provident fund, medical benefits, 22 days annual leave and 14 public holidays (after the probation period).
- An out of hours call will be given if necessary.
- The package also includes a good level of health insurance and an engaging working environment.
HOW TO APPLY
29 October 2020