UNHCR is looking for qualified and competent applicant for the following position:
Job Title: Telecoms Operator, Gambella, Ethiopia – UNHCR
Eligible Applicants: This position is advertised open to Group 1, Group 2, if applicable, and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility: Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications: Telecoms Operator
- Organizational Setting and Work Relationships Direct supervision and support are received from the head of the relevant functional unit. The Telecoms Operator will also refer to technical manuals and UNHCR instructions concerning telecom operations.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Distribute incoming cables, messages, and other communication in accordance with established instructions.
- Ensure that all communications handed to him/her for transmission are properly prepared and authorized and promptly transmitted.
Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Maintain a station log where all occurrences related to the operation of the telecommunication equipment are entered. c6q3MDT DmW5C8
- Ensure that no unauthorized communications are exchanged on the network.
- Maintain all the equipment placed under his/her responsibility in good working condition.
- Assist new staff members in the proper operation of telecommunication equipment.
- May perform secretarial functions, such as handling paperwork on routine matters, arranges appointment/meetings both internally and externally, screen telephone calls, type a wide variety of materials from drafts, printed text, use word processor.
- May assist in making travel arrangements.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Minimum Qualifications Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level G4 – 1 year relevant experience with High School
- Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education Not applicable
- Certificates and/or Licenses * Regulate requmts radio license (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Relevant Job Experience Essential Not specified
- Desirable Sound knowledge and practice of secretarial functions.
- Functional Skills CO-Cross-cultural communication (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Language Requirements: For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
Position Competencies: Competencies as defined in Job Profile
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Nature of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Protection Officer in Dimma and close consultation with the Assc IT Serv Delivery Mgmt Officer of SO Gambella, the Telecom Operator liaises directly with own Service delivery Team as well as with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues. S/he may also liaise with external service providers, as required, to resolve escalate infrastructure issues.
Living and Working Conditions
Dimma Field office is a non-family duty station located 700 Km from Gambella main town in Gambella Region. The security situation is relative calm but unpredictable; sometimes inter communal conflict influence the security situation. The Field Office has an accommodation with modern facilities for staff reducing security risks. Dimma’s main town has a limited banking and medical facilities. The Incumbent can live in the provided Guest house for security reasons. Staff can treval from/to Dimma-Gambella via UN/NGOs vehicles.
The diversity of topography in Ethiopia has resulted in a wide variety of climate in the country. The climate in Dimma is classified as tropical. The hottest season of the region is in March/April. The maximum temperature may rise up to 45 °C, followed by a long rain season. The average annual temperature of Dimma is 27.6 °C. Road network within the region is often affected by the heavy rainfall during the rainy season. The average annual rainfall is 1148 mm. Remoteness, isolation and lack of entertainment in social life are the factors to be also considered prior to applying.
This Job is on a Temporary Appointment. Fluency in English and local languages (Amharic) is required. An eliminator or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following
The Closing Date for Submission of Applications is Thursday 17 February 2022 (Mid-Night Ethiopia Time).
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: