The John Snow, Inc. (JSI) implemented, USAID-supported Strengthening Ethiopia’s Urban Health Program (SEUHP) is seeking a highly qualified Technical Director. The goal of SEUHP is to improve the health status of the urban population in Ethiopia by reducing HIV/TB-related and maternal, neonatal and child morbidity and mortality and the incidence of communicable/non-communicable diseases. This will be achieved by supporting the Government of Ethiopia’s Urban Health Extension Program (UHEP) through improving the quality of community–level health services, strengthening referral linkages, building the institutional and technical capacity of Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs) and promoting inter-sectoral collaboration to address urban health challenges. The Technical Director is a full time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Technical Director’s responsibilities shall include overall planning, coordination, and technical direction of all activities including the work of sub-recipients. S/he is responsible for oversight/management of program staff and will report to the Chief of Party. Specific responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- Provide technical leadership in developing effective and efficient technical and service delivery models that are consistent with the UHEP principles and values:
- Ensure and direct the development of regular and timely programmatic updates and reports across all SEUHP technical components:
- Lead knowledge management and documentation of key lessons and best practices within the SEUHP. This includes the ability to research and quickly disseminate relevant, emerging and existing evidence-base practices and models
- Participate in annual staff performance assessments, goal setting, and supporting professional development of directly reporting technical staff
- A Medical Degree along with a degree in Public Health;
- Proven experience in the management of national, donor-supported public health programs;
- Clinical expertise in primary-level health service delivery;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with USAID programs and knowledge of US Government policies and procedures highly desirable;
- At least fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in each of the following areas: 1) designing and implementing urban health programs; 2) providing technical leadership on urban health issues; 3) managing similar health projects; 4) interacting with other donors, implementing partners and host country government; and 5) capacity building in health and urban development.
- Fluency in Amharic and English required.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 01/31/2014.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.
JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
If you are an individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and unable to apply online for an available position, you may submit your request for reasonable accommodation by calling Human Resources at 617-482-9485.