Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations. We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UNOPS Ethiopia Office has in the recent past signed MOUs with Government Ministries and other UN agencies to implement projects on Infrastructure, Procurement and Human Resources Management. In order to efficiently and effectively serve our partners, the UNOPS Ethiopia office is in need of an experienced Support Services Officer. The Support Services Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Support Services (HoSS) in Ethiopia. S/he will be responsible for the Human Resource, Administration and Procurement functions and will also support the Head of Office in the implementation of other corporate and coordination activities.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Ensuring strategic direction of operations
- Efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team
- Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
- Human Resource Management and supervision of the HR Team.
- Transport and Technical Services
- Security-related issues
1. Ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies,implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
- UNOPS Ethiopia Office processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services. Provision of training on operational matters to staff and projects, and conduct regular monitoring of proper implementation of SOPs
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Operations/Project Center, organization of the operations staff trainings,synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Management of the Operations & Support Services of the UNOPS Ethiopia Office, namely HR,Procurement, Logistical and ICT Services, ensuring the timely delivery of services to projects and programmes under the UNOPS Ethiopia Office;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment and improvements of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
- In managing the Operations & Support Services, liaise and assist the HoSS and other UN agencies on operational matters to understand their needs, provide guidance, and implement solutions;
- Development of tools and platform for operations and data management, ensuring information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients and partners;
2. Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for UNOPS Ethiopia Office provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of pro-forma invoices for UN agencies.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other respective departments at HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Monitoring of administrative budget expenditures and advice to HoSS on the budget status, ensuring that funds allocated is not exceeded or that additional funds are allocated when required; response to queries on financial and administrative matters.
3. Ensures provision of efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- UNOPS Ethiopia Office compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the UNOPS Ethiopia Office procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management,customer relationship management, e-procurement
- promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
- Elaboration of the UNOPS Ethiopia Office contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications.Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations
- Development and implementation of a procurement management system in relation to planning,awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement,in accordance with
- UNOPS Procurement Manual;
- Supervision of the preparation of tendering documents for international procurement requirements;the establishment of shortlist of suitable contractors/suppliers, and the preparation and issue of local tenders. Together with the requesting programme component, evaluation of bids or proposals received and recommendations for contract awards;
- Efficient implementation of a vendor database and use of the system to record the listing, updating,evaluation and and monitoring of performance of service providers and vendors;
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive logistics system in accordance with UNOPS Logistical Procedures;
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive supply system in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Rules and Regulations;
- Management of the movement of personnel and equipment into and within the duty station
- Implementation of an asset management and accounting system for all UNOPS managed equipment and properties in accordance UNOPS lease and asset management policy.
- Provision of guidance on all procurement matters
4. Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
5. Ensures efficient transport and technical services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishment and management of a vehicle pool (including vehicle rentals) for providing transportation services as required by the Office as well as to meet logistical needs of clients;
- Development and implementation of a vehicle management and maintenance system in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures;
- Implementation of a repair and maintenance system for all equipment including EDP equipment, communications equipment,vehicles and generators, etc.;
- Building management and maintenance activities; development and implementation of a power policy in line with capacity of the city power and generators
6. Ensures proper management of security-related issues, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and identification of potential issues related to security and proposal of strategies and proposal of options to be reviewed by management.
- Implementation of a comprehensive security policy for the Operations/Project Centre;
- Guidance and supervision to the security guards for safeguarding the staff and premises
- Preparation of quarterly Security Incident Reports.
- Update of security briefing note and briefing of staff and UNOPS visitors on security-related matters.
- Review of security arrangements in light of requirements and ensure the efficient implementation of all recommended measures;
7. Impact of Results
- The key results have a positive impact on the overall viability, efficiency, and effectiveness of the UNOPS Ethiopia Office operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
- Financial services
- Human Resources
- Procurement and logistical services
- Transportation services
8. Perform other duties as assigned by Head of Support Services Competencies UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Planning and organization skills
- Results orientation
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning,results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients,focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in accounting, business administration, public administration, Purchasing and Logistics, commerce, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Also a membership of a recognized Professional body will be an added advantage.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Financial Management, Administration, Procurement, Human Resources of development programs and projects.
- Language: Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.