Senior Technical Expert Gender Equality
Term of Employment: Fixed Term
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: December 1, 2016
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Agency does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Agency reports to a Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister and whose co-chair is the Minister of Agriculture.
The programmatic focus of the Agency responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Transformation Council. Within the Agency, issues are divided into four different groups: Production and Productivity which includes Inputs and Crop Protection, Livestock, Research and Extension, Mechanization and Rural Finance; Agribusiness andMarkets including Market Support Services, Commercial Farming, Agro-processing & Market Development, and Cooperatives Development; and Environmentally Sustainable and Inclusive Agricultural Growth including Sustainable Irrigation and Watershed Management, Sustainable Land Management, Gender and Nutrition, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, Targeted Livelihood Support, Biodiversity and (temporarily) Planning and MLE, and Enhanced Implementation Capacity which includes ICT, Private Sector, and Organizational and Human Capacity. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models
We have an exceptional team of employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented individuals are committed to doing their best and work together to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our people and are committed to providing our employees with the tools and training necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Senior Technical Expert (STE), Gender Equality, will primarily support the programs and projects of the gender program which is aimed at mainstreaming gender across ATA interventions. The STE is expected to provide programmatic and technical content expertise to the gender program and will:
(i) focus on developing capacities within the ATA on gender and agriculture;
(ii) provide systematic capacity building support to stakeholders of ATA and gender program; and
(iii) provide content input to relevant teams in problem identification, in data gathering and analysis works, and in the identification, implementation and management of a set of interventions as identified by the team.
The STE is expected to have experience working on managing and resource allocation to implement identified interventions of the gender team. The STE will also be expected to lead independently certain activities as well as coordinate with Regional level partners to ensure effective and collaborative implementation of the gender commitments.
In order to fulfil the above, the STE is expected to have abilities that allow the nurturing and maintaining of excellent working relationship within the ATA and the wider MOA and more specifically with the Women’s Affairs Directorate of MOA and its regional counterparts. In addition, s(he) must possess and be able to demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills, relationship building abilities, sensitivity to complex situations, and most importantly the ability to use these attributes to effectively build capacity of various teams and stakeholders. Passion for improving the lives of small-holder farmers and for the cause of gender equality are key attributes needed from the position holder. Familiarity with Ethiopia’s gender equality situation and extensive knowledge of Ethiopian agriculture system and the stakeholders involved in the sector is important.
The STE will report to the Director of the Gender Team.
- Directly support the Director in identifying key gender issues, analyze and prioritize those issues efficiently and develop actionable recommendations for program development and/or support
- Provide support to the Director in “agenda setting” for the programming areas
- Directly support the Director in developing the content and technical capabilities of Ministry counterparts (federal and regional) and other partners, through training, ongoing coaching, and implementation support.
- Support the Director in building and coaching teams and stakeholders focused on results for the sector and measurable increases in female smallholder farmer productivity and engagement
- Support the Director and senior-level Directors within ATA in effectively addressing gender issues by building the capacity of key government, private, NGOs / community-based organizations and other informal actors in Ethiopia’s agricultural system to foster effective linkages and enable long-term improvements in gender equality issues
- Assist in identifying and sharing new national and international sources of data and information within the field of expertise being sought
- Lead discussions with key stakeholders and build independent working relationships with all levels stakeholders; provide extensive capacity building support to key stakeholders in effectively identifying and addressing gender issues
- Prepare presentations, propose ideas for communication and support facilitation of constructive dialogue where required
- Proactively communicate to Director about project/program delivery risks and opportunities
- Determine required data for team analyses and ensure sources are accurately tracked across work stream(s)
- Shares lessons learned on gender equality and mainstreaming through the ATA process with stakeholders
- Understand cultural and political dimensions of stakeholders and their impact on recommendations being made by the gender program
- Contribute to positive atmosphere in teams and support team members; share knowledge across teams, as appropriate
- Demonstrate depth of expertise in area of gender equality, and use knowledge to enrich and guide problem-solving with teams and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in gender or development or related fields
- At least eight (8) years’ (for Bachelor’s) or six (6) years’ (for Master’s) experience in working on gender and agriculture issues
- Understanding of the role of addressing gender in Ethiopia’s agricultural system, with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates and how public, private and informal actors operate within the system
- Experience in prioritizing and sequencing both programmatic and operation activities.
- Ability to work independently and achieve results
- Experience working with Ministry of Agriculture and its regional counterparts but more specifically with women directorates, gender focal person, gender experts
- Demonstrated experience in building capacity of stakeholders at institutional and individual levels on gender issues
- Experience with program design, performance management, learning systems and monitoring & evaluation of projects
- Ability and efficiency in facilitating and organizing multi-stakeholder discussions, workshops and consultative meetings
- Experience in managing and monitoring projects and programs
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, start-up environment, with an emphasis on high-performance, teamwork, accountability and results
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with all kinds of people
- Excellent adaptive and problem-solver in challenging environment
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Fluency in Amharic and working knowledge of English are essential. Knowledge of additional Ethiopian language is an advantage
- Excellent technical/computer skills
How to Apply