The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as Senior Technical Expert – Business Development for the Public-Private Partnerships Team.
Background of the ATA:
The ATA is an initiative by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE), designed with the primary aim of promoting agricultural sector transformation by supporting the Ministry of Agriculture and other public, private and non-governmental partners to address systemic bottlenecks through:
- Leading problem solving efforts to facilitate the identification of innovative solutions to address systemic challenges in priority domains,
- Supporting the implementation of identified solutions in high priority areas, and
- Enhancing linkages/ coordination among agricultural stakeholders to transform the agriculture sector and lead to middle income country status by 2025.
Programmatically, the ATA will focus on a set of high-priority initiatives identified by an inter-ministerial Council chaired by the Prime Minister. The major areas of focus include seeds, markets/cooperatives, technology access and adoption and extension and research. Across the thematic initiatives, the ATA engages public, private, and NGO stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity, and test innovative models.
Overview of the Role:
The Public-Private Partnerships Team at ATA manages several projects, with specific focus on encouraging and facilitating Public-Private Partnership in Ethiopia. The Senior Technical Expert – Business Development will be responsible primarily for initiating investor outreach and acting as the key liaison with firms interested in investing in Ethiopia in ATA’s focus areas. The candidate will work closely with key stakeholders, such as foreign and domestic agro-processors, investors, government bodies and senior management at ATA.
- Develop clear strategies and implementation plans to boost investment
- Help establish key structures and processes for investor outreach and management at ATA and EIA
- Locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities
- Responsible for leading and managing outreach to all investors and companies targeted
- Screens potential business deals by analyzing deal requirements, evaluating internal priorities, etc.
- Introduce investors to the ATA and range of services provided
- Support Senior Management with content creation and investor outreach for key events
- Liaise with project stakeholders and partners on an ongoing basis
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals
- Draft and submit budget and project proposals, and recommend subsequent changes where necessary
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools
- Track project milestones and deliverables
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations
- Effectively communicate project plans to team and stakeholders
- At least 7 years relevant work experience in a business development, sales or related role
- Demonstrated project management and research skills with ability to develop and implement marketing strategies and assess business performance in a cross functional environment
- Proven ability to work under pressure and in a constantly evolving and challenging environment
- Strong experience and ability in analytical and research projects
- Ability to work on and build detailed industry and business model analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities and organizational skills, with experience in working collaboratively as part of fast-paced team
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural system, with a perspective on how the system operates and how public, private and informal actors interact within the system
- Experience in developing and building relationships between the public and private sector
- Ability to problem solve and diffuse challenges quickly and effectively, should they arise
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment