Ipas Ethiopia is an international non-profit organization working to improve women’s lives with focus on reproductive health. Ipas’s mission is to increase women’s ability to exercise their sexual and reproductive rights and reduce abortion related morbidity and mortality. The key programmatic and strategic directions that guide the organization’s functions include:
– Expand access to safe abortion and contraceptive services to women, especially young women, and improve quality of care in both public and private health sectors.
– Increase sustainable supply of abortion related technologies, particularly MVA and medical abortion
– Expand women’s and young women’s awareness of their options and their ability to prevent and manage unwanted pregnancy
– To create an enabling environment for comprehensive abortion care and contraceptive services and increase commitment and resources by stakeholders.
In light of the need to strengthen our relationship with stakeholders and expedite programme implementation, we are planning to hire the following position.
Job Title: Senior Research and Evaluation Adviser
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
Reported to: Country Director
Terms of employment: One year with possibilities for extension
Closing date: October 19, 2017
General Job Description
The Research and Evaluation Advisor has overall responsibility for the monitoring, evaluation and research for Ipas’s country program in Ethiopia.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical and managerial oversight of the implementation of M&E systems, including data collection, data management and documentation, and results reporting
- Ensure quality control and consistency with Ipas global standards for M&E
- Facilitate routine review and use of M&E findings for program assessment and modifications
- Contribute to document preparation for donors and other stakeholders, including data and narrative inputs
- Contribute to the design, ethical approval, implementation, data analysis, reporting, and administrative support for operations/intervention research to test program models
- Train staff and consultants in I4kE data collection and processing
- Conduct dissemination of R&E findings, both internally and externally, including workshop organization, report preparation and contributing to peer-reviewed journal articles
- Represent Ipas at local; regional and global professional meetings and conferences
- Collaborate with other Ipas units and country programs to achieve overall organizational objectives
- Carry out other duties as requested
- Masters degree in Public Health (Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health Policy) or Social Science (Sociology, Economics, Political Science)
- Training on a medical field will be a plus
- 7+ years experience conducting, monitoring, evaluation and research in reproductive health programs.
- Strong quantitative skills, including demonstrated ability in the collection, analysis and presentation of quantitative data.
- Demonstrated ability in word processing, spreadsheet (Excel) and statistical computer packages (Epi Info, Epidata, STATA, SPSS, SAS, R). Experience with qualitative packages desired.
- Qualitative research experience desired, especially in community-based R&E methodologies. – Strong management skills, including experience in project administration, supervision of field staff, and communication among global and national staff-and-partners.
- Strong written and spoken communications skills in English – Experience in an international health or development organization an asset.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and regionally, up to 35% of working days per year. A limited amount of international travel is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural, team- based global: environment.