United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
TERM OF REFERENCE
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE:Senior IT Operations Associate, Jijiga, Ethiopia – WFP
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term – G7
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Jijiga Area Office, Ethiopia
DURATION: One year with a possibility of extension
REPORTING LINE: Direct supervision to Head of Area Office and technical reporting to Head of IT in Country Office
This position is found in Jijiga Area Office. The Job holders report to a Head of the Area Office, and technical supervision to the Head of IT Unit in the Country Office or the designates. At this level job holders typically have independent responsibility for technical, specialized work including planning, organization, coordination and setting objectives. They deal with issues that are often undefined and involve areas of uncertainty and complex inter-relationships. The instructions received are broad and the job holders are expected to consistently demonstrate a high degree of personal responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries. Job holders have a level of IT expertise and knowledge to adapt and develop standard systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. Job holders are typically expected to motivate and develop a team of support staff and/or are responsible for specialized support service(s) where the work is undertaken with the help of specially designed techniques, methods, and processes.
To lead Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNT ABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the budgeting, planning and deployment of information technology, telecommunications and electrical systems that are aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
- Provide support to maintain IT and Telecommunications systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.Coordinate, Manage, monitor and support Jijiga AO and offices under Jijiga
- Area office as second level support and carry out system and hardware maintenance tasks, such as running a complex network.Monitor technology reliability, identify user needs, analyse data and produce accurate reports in order to recommend IT solutions to support informative decision-making.
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; support any technology upgrades as required.
- Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of TC/IT/Electrical equipment and services at and in line with WFP rules and regulations.
Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC/Electrical investments and costs, providing information to inform decision-making by stakeholders.
- Provide standard technical training to end users of commonly used technology and systems, to assist WFP staff in conducting their work.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge and build awareness of industry developments.
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice, and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems, and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Support the capability building of staff through the organisation and/or review training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT, TC and Electrical.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies to network, align activities and support possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT, Telecommunications and electrical.
- Interact effectively with colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP can maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Draft standard material such as end-user and technical documentation to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products
- Carry out any other duties assigned.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or another relevant field. A Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related is an added advantage. Experience: At least 7 or more years of experience in a related field. Trained on Microsoft Windows Server Operating System Platform; Cisco Certified (CCNA), Trained and Certified on Wireless Network infrastructure.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local languages is an added advantage.
CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field. c4aF3z5 DmW348
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
Governance, Strategy and Architecture
Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.
Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization
Utilises working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.
Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.
Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
- Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
- Procurement and Contract Management
- Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience analyzing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
- Has experience in procurement/budgeting process.
- Has participated in development of IT governance processes.
- Has gained additional exposure building relationships with the business counterparts on key IT initiatives.
- Has experience project managing small country level IT initiatives.
- Has coached, trained and mentored junior staff on building their technical capabilities
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply for this position on the website by Clicking the following link below.
Deadline for Application :27 January 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: