Senior Human Resources Assistant- UNECA
Economic Commission for Africa(UNECA) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position
Job Code Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Department/Office: Economic Commission for Africa
Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
Posting Period: 08 March 2022 – 21 March 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-Human Resources-ECA-176590-J-Addis Ababa (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organisational Setting and ReportingECA’s mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA’s five strategic directions which are: advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is in the Talent Management Unit (TMU), Human Resources Management Section (HRMS), Division of Administration (DoA), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The Senior Human Resources Assistant works under the direct supervision of an HRO (Team Leader) and under the overall guidance of the Chief, Talent Management Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: Recruitment and placement
- Participates in the selection of candidates for administrative support positions in the General Service and related categories, including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, conducting preliminary interviews, conducting roster searches for vacancies, and identifying short-list of candidates;
- Assists in the filling of posts, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verification, ensuring the completion of pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment with applicable conditions of service, including statement of emoluments;
- Schedules and coordinates entry tests for administrative support positions;
- Assists in organizing and coordinating competitive recruitment examinations;
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracks the status of job openings;
Administration of Staff Benefits and Entitlements
- Undertakes on-boarding of national and international staff members as soon as reference checks and medical clearance are completed; advises staff on visa matters and on on-boarding coordinates with relevant parties and selected candidates on visa matters, travel and shipment arrangements;
- Arranges inductions for newly recruited staff in client divisions on service-related entitlements, benefits, allowances; and on living conditions in the duty station;
- Undertakes the administration of staff benefits and entitlements from the entry-on-duty or engagement up to the time of separation / retirement, including initial appointments, extension of appointments, transfers, secondments, separations, retirements, resignations, terminations etc.;
- Advise staff members regarding eligibility, applicability and administration of staff benefits and entitlements;
- Supports the team leader in the coordination and implementation of special projects; c9wE6gY DmW5Ad
- Prepares and reviews correspondences concerning appointments, promotions, reassignments, transfers and separations;
- Coach and develop newly recruited HR staff in the respective team;
Staff development and career support training
- Assists in the organization and conduct of training courses and workshops;
- Provide expertise for working group assignments and change management initiatives;
- Generates monitoring reports from Umoja and coordinates required data updates with individual HR Partners;
- Assists in development of SOPs, guidelines and manuals in respective areas of work;
- Supervises the maintenance of automated databases and the centralized reference and filing systems;
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and prepares notes/reports;
- Conducts research on precedents, policy rulings and procedures;
- Supervises compilation and preparation of statistical reports on HR related issues;
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters;
- Performs other duties as required.
CompetenciesProfessionalism: Knowledge of the human resources policies, procedures and practices applicable to the administration of benefits, entitlements and contracts and ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
EducationHigh school diploma or equivalent is required. Additional education in business administration, human resources management or related field is desirable.
Job – Specific QualificationPassing the Global General Services Test (GGST) is a requirement for recruitment to GS positions. See Special Notice Section for more information.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience working in recruitment at a large, international organization is desirable.
- Experience in the use of a talent management system such as Inspira is desirable.
- Experience in the implementation of the United Nations common system, or other similar
- international organization’s human resources policies, procedures and practices is desirable.
LanguagesEnglish and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
AssessmentEvaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
Special NoticeThis position is temporarily available for a period of 364 days. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
While this temporary job opening may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
This temporary job opening may be limited to “internal candidates,” who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply. Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as “retirement.” Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Staff members who were granted a fixed-term, continuing or permanent appointment as a result of having passed a predecessor test recognized by the Office of Human Resources, and who have continuously held such appointments, are not required to take the new test. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test [in English] at the United Nations Headquarters or one of the United Nations Offices Away from Headquarters (OAHs) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
At the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
United Nations ConsiderationsAccording to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply click the following https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1647001141504
Application Deadline:March 21,2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: