Senior Digital Development Specialist – The World Bank Vacancy
The World Bank Group is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Title:Senior Digital Development Specialist
Job #: req15115
Sector: Digital Development
Term Duration:3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type:International Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Infrastructure Practice Group
- Globally, 840 million people live more than 2 kilometres from all-weather roads, 1 billion people lack electricity, and 4 billion people lack Internet access. Access to basic infrastructure services is critical for creating economic opportunities for the poor. The Infrastructure Practice Group is charged with developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging economies.
- The World Bank Group helps developing countries build smart infrastructure that supports inclusive and sustainable growth, expands markets, creates job opportunities, promotes competition, and contributes to a cleaner future. We help countries address their unique infrastructure needs by working with the public and private sectors. Infrastructure improves lives by connecting people to opportunity. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/infrastructure
Digital Development Global Practice
- The Digital Development Global Practice (DD) is part of the Bank’s Infrastructure Practice Group.It plays a critical role in enabling the achievement of the World Bank’s Twin Goals of ending poverty and promoting shared prosperity as well as the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Digital technologies are transforming firms, governments and people’s lives; and with the digital economy growing at a rate significantly higher than that of the global economy, it offers emerging economies a unique opportunity to leapfrog traditional paths for development through digital solutions.
- Collaborating across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries, the Digital Development team helps design and deliver ICT-enhanced solutions to a diverse range of clients. The team supports clients (i) through advisory assistance to establish policy and regulatory environments that allow the widespread use of technology and create a trust environment; (ii) lending operations by building infrastructure to connect the unconnected, or enabling digital government shared platforms (cloud, digital, identification, etc.).
For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/digitaldevelopment
- The DD Global Practice is led by a Director supported by several Practice Managers with specific regional and thematic responsibilities. The IDD04 unit is responsible for Digital Development activities and portfolio in the Eastern and Southern Africa region, including lending, supervision and analytical work.
- The unit is looking to recruit a Senior Digital Development (DD) Specialist to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to support the AECE3 countries (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan and South Sudan), and possibly others in the region as well. The Senior DD Specialist will report to the IDD04 Practice Manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Senior Digital Development (DD) Specialist, will be responsible for the following:
- Lead missions and supervise major projects in the sector as a technical expert; interact with clients at the policy and senior management levels, organize and manage policy notes on digital development and policy evaluation in collaboration with sector agencies, development partners and other Global Practices.
- Contribute to the design, preparation and supervision of World Bank Group financed digital development related investment and policy reform programs in client countries with a particular emphasis on stimulating development of digital connectivity infrastructure through Public Private Partnerships (PPPs), strengthening regulatory agencies, facilitating development of digital government IT infrastructure, platforms and services, and promoting development of digital skills and innovation.
- Advise clients on strategies, best practices and design of programs to develop the foundations of their digital economies. This may include participating in complex technical assistance activities and providing just-in-time technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework for the ICT sector and wider digital economy as well as IT functions and digital services delivery within governments.
- Participate in complex technical assistance activities and provide ad hoc technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory and institutional framework for the development of the digital economy in client countries, including development of National ICT / Digital Economy Policy and Strategy documents.
- Develop innovative and practical approaches to solving difficult policy and operational issues for selected high priority telecommunications, ICT or digital economy related activities, notably around market opening and regulation.
- Provide technical expertise and advice on a range of ICT policy and regulatory issues to promote competition, investment, innovation and job creation in the telecoms sector with the aim of boosting affordability, service quality and access to digital connectivity by citizens, businesses and governments and to stimulate the downstream development of value added digital services.
- Collaborate with colleagues from within DD and other Global Practices in advising the Government on the implementation of Digital ID rollout and on developing use cases for digital ID in specific sectors.
- Generate ‘think pieces’ and ‘best practice’ papers; handle complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues in the sectors; lead the development of proposals; lead the interface with member governments and agencies in resolving implementation issues. Prepare and supervise publication of best practice notes and reports on policy and regulation in the ICT
- Provide technical expertise and advice on policy, institutional reform, project development and execution to support the digitization of public administration and public services delivery in client countries.
- Liaise and provide guidance to colleagues working in other sectors (including agriculture, health, education, energy, financial services, transport, etc.) on how to leverage digital technologies to improve public service delivery and efficiency in their respective sectors and to stimulate digital innovation, entrepreneurship and investment in those sectors by private sector actors.
- Mobilize resources for sector development and analytical work by applying for and managing grants from a variety of sources, both internal and external to the World Bank.
- Contributing to policy dialogue with senior officials of client countries, regional institutions and development partner agencies.
- Work independently under general direction of unit manager, and guide and mentor junior staff.
- Represent the DD Unit and the Bank at regulatory and other fora and events, as well as liaison in the above areas with key external and internal partners (including energy, water, transport, financial services, and private sector advisory services) on ICT / Digital Economy policy and regulatory matters and playing a leadership role in related fora.
- Master’s or higher degree in telecommunications, engineering, law, economics, public policy or related field with 8 years of experience in ICT / Digital Economy policy and regulation and/or ICT / Digital Economy project design and implementation equivalent combination of education and experience. c7Jfx5m DmW3Qn
- Proven expertise in developing and monitoring digital infrastructure policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations needed to support development and for the success of Bank interventions and national digital capabilities. Proven expertise on new areas of digital regulation, cybersecurity, data protection, digital ID and digital platforms is an added advantage
- Strong understanding of dependency and relationship of modern digital infrastructure and enabling regulatory environment with digital business models, platforms, solutions and services
- Good understanding of role of private sector on digital infrastructure and familiarity with PPP structuring
- Knowledge of digital technologies and trends in digitally enabled business model relevant to socio-economic development in the African context and enthusiasm to stay abreast of new innovations.
- Prior policy dialogue activities working with countries with limited capacity and influencing ICT reforms
- Proven experience advising governments or regulatory agencies on priority sector reforms issues and regulatory interventions in broadband infrastructure (fixed and mobile), conducting dialogue with regulators, and ability to develop best practice on regulation.
- Work experience in Africa, and good knowledge of sector issues in the region is an advantage. Experience in Fragile Conflict and Violence (FCV) environment would be an additional plus (Ethiopia was declared an FCV country in July 2021).
- Excellent conceptual skills, including ability to think strategically about the role of ICT / Digital Technologies in other sectors and (more generally) the economy, as well as interface between telecom policy and ICT for Development.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills, in data and evidence-based reforms, using metrics and indicators to determine numeric reform targets, take stock of developments over time, and use data driven results monitoring as an instrument to advance reforms. Combines a broad grasp of the relevant theory and principles and of involved practices and precedent.
- Strong technical and operational skills as evidenced in a proven track record in the delivery of project operations within the Bank or similar type of products for other entities.
- Strong client engagement skills, taking responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or project success.
- Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated in a proven track record of effectively delivering technical information in appropriate language to clients, the international development community, academia, and internal working groups.
- Excellent presentation skills, using charts, graphs and other data presentation techniques appropriately to communicate data, technical information, or complex concepts to non-specialists.
- Strong drive for results, taking personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results.
- Strong business judgment and analytical decision making, analyzing facts and data to support sound and logical business decisions.
- Proven ability to function effectively as a team member of multi-disciplinary teams, mentor staff, and resolve conflicts constructively.
Willingness and ability to travel.
- Proficiency in English is essential
World Bank Group Core Competencies
- The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
How to apply
Interested applicants can apply for this position on the website by Clicking the link below.
Closing Date:3/1/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: