Senior Communication Officer
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: SENIOR COMMUNICATION OFFICER
Under the direct supervision and general guidance of the Deputy Chief of Staff, BDCP, the Senior Communication Officer will provide technical support to enhance and facilitate information flow within the Bureau of the Deputy Chairperson including the Departments that are directly under the Office of Deputy Chairperson, and, between these and other AUC Departments and Offices, as well as, all other external stakeholders.
The incumbent will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Job Title: Senior Communication Officer
Department: Bureau of the Chairperson Supervisor: Chief of Staff, Bureau of the Chairperson Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Deputy Chief of Staff and the Senior Advisers in the Office of the DCP, as well as, the Directors and senior officers in the four Bureau Departments, plan, develop and monitor the implementation of an effective internal and external message packaging and delivery system that will leverage all appropriate channels to accompany the implementation of the Bureau’s four-year Business Plan.
- Working closely with the Directorate of Information and Communication and staff of the Bureau of the Chairperson, ensure that BDCP contributes effectively to the collective effort to deliver a comprehensive, coherent and consistent message on the activities and performance of the Commission.
- Scan on a daily basis the media, and on a regular basis, the internal and external policy and operational environment and bring to the attention of Bureau staff, all emergent issues thereof relevant to the work of the Bureau and advise and monitor their proper management.
- Follow the schedule and engagements of H.E. the Deputy Chairperson and working closely with staff of the Directorate of Information and Communication, assist in providing liaison with the media, provide/vet inputs into media materials, and, handle media inquiries.
- Review, make recommendations and follow up on the implementation of measures to enhance channels of communication and information flow within the Bureau and with external stakeholders.
- Manage the Bureau website and ensures routine updates to the site.
- Develop maintain and coordinate an effective social media presence for the BDCP including through AUC Outlook, AUC Open Space, Facebook, Twitter and other means as appropriate Contribute to the planning and execution of Bureau and major Commission-wide events.
- Perform other related duties as may be required.
3. QUALIFICATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Candidates must have a Master’s University Degree in Communication, Media, Journalism, Public Relations or related fields.
- Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant working experience in communication and information management.
4. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages.
- Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
5. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointmentwill be made on a fixed term contract for a period of One (1) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period.
Thereafter, the contract will be for a annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$83,070.00inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 71,466.41inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.orgnot later than 20th January 2014.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Click the bar below to visit the original announcement on