Senior Clinical Advisor
EngenderHealth is currently looking for a well-qualified Sr. Clinical Advisor for its office Addis Ababa Office.
Senior Clinical Advisor
Job Code: 981
# of openings: 1
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement No. 78
Position: Sr. Clinical Advisor
EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival. In 20 countries around the world, we train health care professionals and partner with governments and communities to make high-quality family planning and sexual and reproductive health services available—today and for generations to come. EngenderHealth is currently looking for a well-qualified Sr. Clinical Advisor for its office Addis Ababa Office.
The Sr. Clinical Advisor will provide technical leadership on clinical matters related to the delivery of comprehensive family planning/FP, comprehensive abortion care/CAC, and other sexual reproductive health/SRH services for program/project supported by the EngenderHealth Inc. in Ethiopia. S/he provide guidance including clinical expertise, to a team of clinical staff and consultants/resource persons and ensure coordinated provision of technical assistance to country program/projects and partners at national, regional and zonal levels. The Sr. clinical advisor serves as a lead person in overseeing the clinical activities and building staff and partners capacity in clinical procedures/techniques and updates. S/he oversees country based clinical team and provides support for country office based clinical team and field level program staff. S/he provides clinical training and coaching for Trainers and health care providers at EngenderHealth supported health facilities.
The Sr. clinical advisor will also be responsible to oversee and ensure clinical quality. S/he provides technical direction and oversight on clinical standards and practice including mainstreaming the right based and choice approach with in EngenderHealth program. S/he will lead the establishment and functioning of sound quality improvement systems, tools and approaches within EngenderHealth program and the MOH efforts. S/he will technically represent EngenderHealth at appropriate national and international forums. S/he will identify, document, synthesize, disseminate and integrate lessons learned and best practices in FP, CAC and related SRH service delivery.
- Lead the clinical interventions of the country program and ensure the proper implementation of Comprehensive Family planning (FP), Comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC) and other SRH activities of EngenderHealth in accordance with applicable national, international and EngenderHealth policy guidelines, protocols and technical standards;
- Lead the development/adaption and effective implementation of EngenderHealth and MOH Clinical Quality Improvement frameworks, approaches and tools in consultation with the Clinical advisor/s, Technical team and EH’s Global and Technical Leadership (GTL) team. This includes Clinical Training Quality Assurance Mechanism, COPE, Clinical Monitoring and Coaching and other quality improvement tools and approaches.
- Review the medical content of all documents used/adapted and/or developed by the country program/projects to ensure they are up to date and adhere to EngenderHealth, international and national guidelines and standards.
- Lead the process and periodically update EngenderHealth program staffs and implementing partners on best clinical practices and the state-of-the art technology related to clinical quality of care (QOC), FP, CAC, and other SRH in consultation with the Clinical advisor/s, Technical Director and EH’s Global and Technical Leadership (GTL) team;
- Serve as a lead trainer and provide technical assistance in clinical and quality improvement related training, training follow up and coaching activities appropriate to the needs of the country and /or EngenderHealth supported program/projects;
- Oversee and provide technical assistance and coach/mentor health service providers on Comprehensive FP (with focus on Permanent methods /PM and PPIUD), CAC (with focus on second trimester abortion care), QOC and other SRH areas to enhance competency and performance;
- Collaborate with and closely work with the other EngenderHealth technical advisors and MOH counterparts to ensure consistent application and institutionalization of clinical FP, CAC and other SRH service delivery standards, protocols and guidelines including Clinical Monitoring and Coaching, COPE, and other approaches and tools to ensure clinical quality.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to clinical team and field-based program team to institutionalize LARC/PM, post-partum FP (with focus on PPIUD), CAC and other SRH services;
- Provide technical leadership and assist in service integration efforts particularly in integrating FP with CAC, MCH and HIV service in a client centered and gender-sensitive manner;
- As assigned, represent the country program at appropriate technical working groups, taskforces etc
- Lead and ensure the regular and timely implementation of ongoing clinical and program compliance monitoring using appropriate tools/ checklists to reinforce clinical standards and QOC;
- Serve as part of the global extended clinical team, provide required technical support for other country program and synthesize learning and best practices for local consumption;
- Lead clinical team to plan and coordinate provision of technical assistance to country partners and draw up annual, quarterly and monthly plan and produce and submit monthly update and quarterly reports;
- Synthesize data, properly document and disseminate lessons learned and best practices on Engender Health’s experience in improving quality of clinical services for FP, CAC and other /SRH services;
- Undertake other essential tasks as required by the technical Director and/or project director/s;
- Travel to and work in the focus geographic areas up to 60% of the time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MD degree in Medicine with specialty in Obstetrics and gynecology; preferably with high level training on permanent method of FP and second trimester abortion care.
- Nine (9+) years clinical service delivery experience in FP/CAC/SRH with at least 4 years clinical experience in permanent family planning service provision (tubal ligation and vasectomy) and comprehensive abortion care services (particularly second trimester abortion care) is highly recommended.
- Practical experience relevant to quality improvement /quality assurance process and tools as it relate to FP, CAC and related SRH.
- Experience in training, training follow up and coaching/mentoring of trainers and service providers in FP, CAC and related SRH areas.
- Experience and understanding of Ministry of Health structure and health service delivery system.
- Experience in documentation, presenting findings, results and lessons learned to a variety of audiences.
- Experience with international NGOs and/or donor funded FP/RH programs a plus
COMPETANCIES AND ABILITIES
- Experience in team building, working with and supervising team of high level professionals;
- Commendable communication skills with proven capacity to articulates and presents written and spoken ideas, opinions and information in a clear, concise, structured and convincing manner for the intended audience;
- Demonstrated capacity in decision making and initiating action including taking responsibility for actions, developing and implementing policies, processes and procedures and taking initiative and working under own direction;
- Ability to understand and keeps up-to-date on local, national and international developments that affect the organization and shape stakeholders’ views.
- Demonstrated capacity in building trust with internal and external stakeholder with high level of integrity and accountability.
REPORTS TO: Technical Director