The specific objectives of this assignment are:
i. Develop clear study methodology which includes sample size determination, sampling design, etc.;
ii. Develop appropriate data collection tools;
iii. Translate the data collection tools into local language;
iv. Select and recruit study enumerators and supervisors;
v. Provide training for enumerators and supervisors;
vi. Supervise the entire data collection process to maintain its quality;
vii. Conduct data entry, cleaning/editing, analysis, interpretation and report writing according to agreed study report template by SNV Ethiopia;
viii. Produce informed sanitation choice materials incorporating disability and elderly.
This assignment will be conducted in selected kebeles, villages and households in Estie woreda in Amhara Region. The specific tasks of the consulting firm/LCB in this assignment will cover but not be limited to the following:
· Identify and recruit competent enumerators and supervisors who have previous experience in data collection and supervision respectively. Those who have engaged in similar assignments before will have an added advantage
· Prepare appropriate data collection tool and translate it to be used for both quantitative and quantitative data collection.
· Ensure that all enumerators/moderators and supervisors understand how to conduct interviews, FGDs and cases during training
· Plan for the study according to the agreed sampling criteria by the SNV Ethiopia
· Conduct supervisory visits and oversee the data collection exercise to ensure quality standards are met
· Collect qualitative data using the appropriate checklist agreed by the client, enter and analyse the data qualitatively
· Review the data analysis framework for example Sani-FOAM framework (FOAM = Focus, Opportunity, Ability, Motivation) for consumer preference study
· Analyse and interpret the collected data according to the country context and prepare a study report according to the agreed study report template
· Present the sanitation supply chain and consumer study report in the validation workshop to be organized by the client if deemed necessary.
· Prepare and present the informed choice materials incorporating disability and elderly.
The selected firm will be a professional research firm with a track record of conducting similar studies most specifically hygiene and sanitation, if possible. The team for the selected firm will need to have demonstrated experience both in quantitative and qualitative research techniques, particularly as applied to rural populations. Experience working with geographically challenging environment with managing large rural population-based studies is essential. Experience in qualitative study and data collection is advantageous.
The study team composition and qualifications should be as follows. Knowledge of English and Amharic language for all staff members is a must and local language in Estie woreda is a plus.
1) Key personnel required for this assignment must have at least a Master’s degree. They include:
· One Team Leader/ Lead Researcher who will be the primary person responsible for the technical work and will manage the design and implementation process. He/she will have master’s degree in marketing, supply chain and business development or entrepreneurship or other related fields to this assignment.
· One Environmental Health or public health or Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) related backgrounds with solid experience in the sanitation and hygiene and with a track record on quantitative studies and analysis and has experience.
· One economist who have rich experiences working with similar studies and with a track record in using qualitative methods in data analysis.
2) Supervisors and enumerators
· Supervisors who have at least BSC degree in relevant fields to the intended study with more than one year in supervising enumerators in large study more specifically WASH is advantageous.
· Enumerators/moderators/ who have at least one year of experience of field work using in-depth interview and FGD data collection ( if related to WASH is advantageous) and diploma and above from a recognized institution.
The firm will ensure that all proposed staff will be available at all assignments and work directly in the study. Substitution of staff after contract award is discouraged and will have to be approved by the client.