Danish Refugee Council is looking for a Safety Coordinator at Addis Ababa
- Organization: DRC – Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Occupational Groups:
- Closing Date:07-22-2016
DRC is an international non-governmental organization that promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC has been operating in the Horn of Africa and Yemen for over a decade, running a combination of livelihood, protection, advocacy and relief programmes. In Ethiopia, DRC has programme offices in Djibouti, Addis Ababa, Gambella, Dollo Ado, Jijiga and Shire. While much of the work done by the organization focuses on displaced populations and asylum seekers, DRC also implements programmes in support of the refugee hosting populations.
DRC’s Safety Risk Management System in the HoA&Y area has been developed to a robust level over the past five years. Procedures, protocols and policies are in place and largely implemented throughout the region. Training modules have been standardized and delivered on a regular basis, and safety management receives strong support and attention from managers at all levels.
The Safety Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the DRC Safety Risk Management (SRM) system throughout the DRC areas of operation in Ethiopia and Djibouti. This will be done in close cooperation with the Regional Safety Advisor, Country Director, Area Managers, and Safety Focal Points in the DRC field offices in Ethiopia and Djibouti.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Facilitate compliance audits as part of the Safety Risk Management (SRM) system, including Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS) and Safely Level System (SLS) audits.
- Training of local staff and mentoring of Local Safety Officers (LSOs) and Safety Focal Points (SFPs), including Personal Awareness and Safety Training, staff inductions, and training on Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Assist in the implementation of safety management policies, protocols and procedures, including Safety Improvement Plans
- Facilitate programme access and continuity through the provision of dependable advice, weekly sit-reps, and safety advisories, as needed
- Maintain relevant safety documentation, data and records, including training registers and incident inquiries and reporting
- Coordinate the country level Incident Management Team (IMT) and support Area IMTs
- Represent the DRC Ethiopia programmes within inter-agency fora as related to safety issues
- Regularly monitor the organization’s Motor Vehicles using the established tracking system.
- Visit the field offices a minimum of every 2 months and review the MOSS in liaison with the Area and Field Managers.
- Any other duties as directed by the Country Director
The Safety Coordinator reports to the Country Director and works closely with the Regional Safety Advisor (RSA) and senior programme staff in the relevant areas of operations.
- At least 5 years’ experience in security management with a proven ability to develop and implement effective and contextualized protocols and systems.
- At least 3 years military experience with a rank of Sergeant or above
- NGO safety management experience is desirable
- At least 2 years operational experience on international deployments
- Detailed knowledge of radio and other telecommunications systems
- Experience with critical incident management
- Experience with delivering security-related training
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience working with NGOs/International Organizations in a complex humanitarian context
- Previous management and/or supervisory experience, preferably in an NGO
- Computer software skills, including sound knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player
- Willingness to travel widely throughout Ethiopia, Djibouti and the HoA&Y region
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, including negotiations and mediation
- Previous experience as a trainer/instructor/teacher
Contract: Six month contract.
Other employment conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates recruited by the Horn of Africa and Yemen Regional Office or DRC terms for National Staff in Ethiopia. This position is rated as A15 on the DRC salary scale available at www.drc.dk.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel across Ethiopia and Djibouti
General Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.