General: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the CGIAR Consortium. The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries. With a vision for a world free of hunger and malnutrition, IFPRI’s mission is to provide sustainable solutions for ending hunger and reducing poverty.
The position: The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire a Research Officer I for its Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) Division in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The overall purpose of the job is to liaise with IFPRI researchers, regional organizations and other partners in developing policy solutions and using them for communications and advocacy for food and nutrition security, poverty reduction, and improved livelihood for the people of eastern and southern Africa; contributing to research design and empirical analysis of primary and secondary data in the areas of production, productivity and natural resource management, knowledge management, input and output marketing, health and nutrition, social protection and resource management, knowledge management, input and output marketing, health and nutrition, social protection and risk management, and monitoring and evaluation and impact assessment of development projects.
The Research Officer will provide research assistance to the Head of ESARO and designated staff in the following specific functions:
• Collating and documenting of research done by IFPRI staff that has bearing on the development of eastern and southern Africa region;
• Writing literature review, research reports and advocacy notes;
• Conducting field research surveys;
• Managing and analyzing primary and secondary data using descriptive and advanced multivariate analytical methods;
• Editing and/transcribing reports, manuscripts, proposals and other documents;
• Writing concept notes and funding proposals;
• Organizing seminars, workshops and other learning events;
• Any other responsibilities that will be assigned by supervisor and / or management.
• MSc degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics or related fields
• Research experience
• Minimum of 5 years in related activities
• Experience in use of STATA statistical package
• Initiative and ability to respond creatively to analytical challenges
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Base Salary: Birr 22,045 per month (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for a one year, fixed term, renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, relevant documents and testimonials, and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Human Resources Office, ILRI, P.O. Box 5689, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Telephone: (251-11)-617-20-00; Fax: (251-11)-646-46-45. Name and reference number of the position for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelopes if mailed, or on the fax applications. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: December 31, 2013.