Regional MDR TB Clinical Mentor at MSH
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The CTB office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of the USAID funded Challenge TB project (CTB) (to be significantly expanded in 2016). As collaborating partner, MSH implements the project together with KNCV (Lead) and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The MDR TB Clinical Advisor is the senior clinical expert who will provide technical support to the RHBs, zonal health departments, and MDR TB Treatment Centers. He/she will also represent Challenge TB in regional MDR TB technical working group meetings. He/she will conduct supportive supervision and provides Continuing Medical Education (CME) for health workers supported by the Challenge TB project. He/she will also participate in preparation of work plans, supportive supervisions, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Serve as a resource person for the regional team in matters pertaining to clinical and programmatic management of MDR TB using the nationally approved clinic-based ambulatory model of care
- Support RHBs, zonal health departments and treatment centers in the implementation of innovative MDR TB case finding strategies including screening close contacts of index cases
- Ensure adequate clinical and laboratory monitoring of MDR TB patients by coordinating regular clinic appointment days (including MDR TB days) through regular in-person and distance based communication with site clinical team and zonal cluster coordinators
- Coordinate with the GF fund support team to ensure MDR TB catchment area meetings are conducted regularly and patients received nutritional support as per the national standards
- Work with the other regional advisors and the regional government counterparts to ensure consistent high quality service provision appropriate to the specific tier of services as well as referrals and linkages between each tier, and between the facility/ community.
- Support the regional team in identifying specific barriers to MDR TB case management including factors contributing to poor adherence to treatment and to clinic appointments
- Coordinate specific adherence improvement strategies including pilot-testing of MDR TB video-assisted adherence counseling and patient education tool, and support monitoring of its impact on treatment outcomes
- Coordinate MDR TB CME activities and cohort review meetings, prepare clinical case studies, present and actively contribute to the discussions
- Together with the regional M&E team analyze monitoring and evaluation data and track project indicators as the basis for measuring performance and proposing improvements.
- Participate in the preparation of regional work plans and budgets
- Perform other activities as assigned by the supervisor
- MD from a recognized university. Additional postgraduate qualification in public health or clinical medicine is desired
- 7 + years of experience, including prior experience with MDR TB clinical mentoring
- Hands-on experience in coordinating MDR-TB trainings required
- Previous experience with USAID or other USG funded projects is required
- Operational research experience is a plus
- Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership, and the ability to work collaboratively with culturally diverse partners.
- Computer literacy; competency with Microsoft Office, internet and email systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic is required.
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- Willingness to travel frequently (up to 50% time) within Ethiopia required.
Closing date: May 13, 2016