UNDP has launched a Strategy to guide its work on supporting countries to govern their extractive sector sustainably. The organization is implementing the strategy through its global, regional and country programmes and projects.
Through its Africa Regional Project on Extractives, UNDP, together with the Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the African Union Commission (AUC) and the African Development Bank (AfDB), supports the realization of the African Mining Vision (AMV) through the African Mineral Development Centre (AMDC) and various country-level activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project/Administrative Associate provides programme and administrative services in support of the Africa Regional Project on Extractives. This includes programme support in financial management, planning, implementation, administrative support, reporting and information management. The Programme/Administrative Associate implements UNDP’s policies, rules and regulations. The Programme/Administrative Associate will identify and help resolve bottlenecks, clarifies and interprets procedures in terms of project management practices.
Expected output/ Deliverables
The consultant has the following duties and responsibilities: Support to the formulation, implementation, management and monitoring of the project:
- Providing project management support;
- Tracking, monitoring and reporting on the use of project resources;
- Maintaining project budget;
- Ensuring the compliance of project implementation and general operations;
- Generating reports and information on implementation of projects and project status.
General operational and administrative support to the Unit
- Assisting the Senior Advisor and Project Manager administratively;
- Assisting the Project team administratively;
- Coordinating and writing briefing materials and reports for meetings;
- Processing Travel Requests, including timely follow-up action on medical/security clearance;
- Providing administrative and logistical support for meetings, workshops, trainings, conferences, retreats and any other special events;
- Handling the communication work related to the project;
- Taking care of and assisting procurement of staff, goods and services;
- Organizing and preparing agendas and minutes of meetings and tracking follow-up actions.
Management of the project’s documentation portfolio
- Preparing information for the audit of the project;
- Editing and translating reports as necessary for in-house dissemination and/or publication;
- Collecting and disseminating information related to the project.
Institutional arrangement: UNDP will facilitate and provide administrative and logistical support to the consultant, including workspace, internet access and administrative support to enable her/him to perform her/his assignment. The overall management of the assignment and contract will be by the Senior Advisor and Project Manager of the UNDP Regional Project: Harnessing Extractive Industries for Human Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, under which the contract of the consultant is issued. In this regard, the Project Manager will have responsibility for monitoring and reporting on overall progress of the implementation of the consultancy.
Functional comppetencies: Knowledge and Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Sound knowledge of procurement rules and procedures and asset management;
- Ability to perform a wide range of varied, inter-related administrative services;
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and administrative policies and procedures;
- Good communication skills
- Strong IT skills and knowledge;
- Ability to interpret and analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, to plan and organize work.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
Corporate competencies: Compliance of the UN Core Values
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Important Note: The Consultant is required to have the above professional and technical qualifications. Only the applicants who hold these qualifications will be shortlisted and contacted.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Management, Finance/Accounting or related fields.
Years of experience:
- Minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the finance area at the national or international level is required;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft office application (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Experience in handling web based management systems or ERP is essential;
- Familiarity with UNDP’s system for financial management of projects.
- Fluency (both oral and written) in English;
- Fluency in another UN Language is an asset.
Evaluation: Upon the advertisement of the Procurement Notice, the qualified Individual Consultant is expected to submit both the Technical and Financial Proposals. Accordingly; Individual Consultants will be evaluated based on Cumulative Analysis as per the following scenario:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
In this regard, the respective weight of the proposals are:
- Technical Criteria weight is 70%;
- Financial Criteria weight is 30%.
Technical Competence (based on CV, Proposal and interview (if required)): 70%
- Criteria a. Secondary education. Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, management, finance/accounting or related fields desirable: 20%;
- Criteria b. Minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the finance area at the national or international level is required: 30%;
- Criteria c. Experience in the usage of computers of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling web based management systems or ERP is essential: 20%;
- Criteria d. Familiarity with UNDP’s system for financial management of projects:10%;
- Criteria e. Good communication skills. Fluency (both oral and written) in English. Fluency in another UN Language is an asset: 20%.
Financial (Lower Offer/Offer*100): 30% -30
Total Score: Technical Score
- 70% + Financial Score
The prospective consultant will indicate the cost of services in US dollars all-inclusive  lump sum contract amount when applying for this consultancy. The consultant will be paid based on the effective UN exchange rate (where applicable), and only after approving authority confirms the successful completion of each deliverable as stipulated hereunder.
 The term ‘All inclusive’ implies that all costs (professional fees, travel costs, living allowances, communications, consummables, etc.) that could possibly be incurred by the Contractor are already factored into the final amounts submitted in the proposal.
Recommended Presentation of Technical proposal
For purposes of generating proposals whose contents are uniformly presented and to facilitate their comparative review, you are hereby given a template of the Table of Content. Accordingly; your Technical Proposal document must have at least the preferred content as outlined in the IC Standard Bid Document (SBD).
Confidentiality and Property interests
The Individual Consultant shall not either during the term or after termination of the assignment, disclose any proprietary or confidential information related to the consultancy service without prior written consent. Proprietary interests on all materials and documents prepared by the consultants under the assignment shall become and remain properties of UNDP.