Programming and Training Assistant for Education Sector – US Embassy Addis Ababa
U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is looking for eligible and qualified applicants for the following open position.
POSITION TITLE: Programming and Training Assistant for Education Sector
OPENING DATE: February 12, 2019
CLOSING DATE: February 26, 2019
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
REQUIRED NUMBER: Two (2)
SALARY: Base rate $12,812.00 (paid in ETB at current rate of exchange); plus benefits
Basic Functions of the Programming and Training Assistant:
Peace Corps Ethiopia Education Program runs a TEFL program that trains and supports Volunteers to become effective and successful English teachers in an English as foreign language environment.
The Programming and Training Assistant (PTA) works with the programming and training staff to support volunteers and reports on their progress. S/he will provide technical, psychosocial and administrative support to Volunteers. The Programming and Training Assistant (PTA) reports to the Program Manager for Education and is supervised by the Director of Programming and Training. In addition, the PTA functions as a lead technical coordinator and technical trainerincluding the design, management and, where appropriate, the delivery of regularly scheduled training events. The PTA assists the Program Manager in providing technical and administrative support to an average of 70 Peace Corps Volunteers and Trainees who are living and working in rural areas of Ethiopia, and therefore will require significant amounts of time working in the field. The position requires an estimated 50% of time travelling within Ethiopia.
- A Master’s Degree in English Language Teaching; or relevant equivalent
- Level IV (fluent) in reading, writing and speaking in English and Amharic. The ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English is required;
- At least four years of specialized experience and increasing responsibility in or related to the work of the position described. The specialized experience must have included:
- Demonstrated experience working with educational structures and its delivery mechanisms in Ethiopia;
- Demonstrated skill in teaching English language and knowledge of continuing efforts in the area of English Language Improvement Programs (ELIP) in Ethiopia;
- Demonstrated skills in the design, management and evaluation of educational projects and/or training programs;
- Ability to provide training under challenging conditions;
- work experience in a cross-cultural and/or international setting;
- At least four years of classroom teaching in schools;
Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate to advance software skills with MS Word, Powerpoint and excel.
- Ability to prioritize and structure daily tasks, organize workflow and manage time.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong negotiating and conflict mitigation skills.
- An effective and skilled communicator.
- Strong intercultural working experience.
- Experience with TEFL programs and teacher training is highly desirable;
- Experience working with U.S. Americans working in education and intercultural understanding in Ethiopia;
- Strong understanding of experiential education methodologies and adult learning principles;
- Strong understanding of the role of education in the development of Ethiopia;
- Knowledge of at least one other national language of Ethiopia in addition to Amharic is a plus;
- Preparedness to commit to and honor extended period of employment with Peace Corps expected.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants who meet the minimum requirements must submit the following documents:
- Cover letter of no more than two pages addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications
- A current resume supporting your candidacy or Curriculum Vitae (CV) that includes 3 professional references.
- Optional: Any other succinct documentation that supports your candidacy.
Applications should be addressed to:
Peace Corps Ethiopia
Via Email: email@example.com with a subject line “PTA-ED”
Via Post: Peace Corps P.O. Box 7788, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
*Only select one delivery method. Please do not send to both.*