Location : Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIAApplication Deadline : 23-Dec-14
Type of Contract : FTA International
Post Level : P-3
Languages Required : English
The Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) has the responsibility for developing all relevant policy and guidance to support the results of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. BPPS’s staff provides technical advice to Country Offices; advocates for UNDP corporate messages, represents UNDP at multi-stakeholder fora including public-private dialogues, government and civil society dialogues, South-South and Triangular cooperation initiatives, and engages in UN inter-agency coordination in specific thematic areas. BPPS works closely with UNDP’s Crisis Response Unit (CRU) to support emergency and crisis response. BPPS ensures that issues of risk are fully integrated into UNDP’s development programmes. BPPS assists UNDP and partners to achieve higher quality development results through an integrated approach that links results based management and performance monitoring with more effective and new ways of working. BPPS supports UNDP and partners to be more innovative, knowledge and data driven including in its programme support efforts.
The Programme Specialist, Natural Resource Management based in Addis Ababa is responsible for contributing policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices and utilizing the products and tools relevant to the thematic area of Natural Resource Managementwith an emphasis on integrated land and water management, marine and coastal management, impacts of extractive industries on biodiversity and ecosystems, and mainstreaming environment in country level programming. This involves work with the vertical funds to identify and operationalize opportunities for sustainable conservation-compatible livelihoods, in a manner that builds the productive capacity of countries and promotes public and private sector investment to optimize triple wins (ensure environmental, social and economic wins) and to guide trade-offs. S/he acts in response to requests from country offices and in collaboration with the integration and coordination team. Working to ensure the execution of quality and coherent policy and programme advisory services within their region and across other regions as well as alignment with the Strategic Plan, the Programme Specialist advances the mission of the UNDP and increases the credibility and recognition in this thematic area. Under the overall guidance of the relevant team leader in the Regional Hub and the direct supervision of the line manager as designated by the team leader, s/he is responsible for performing and contributing to the following:
- Programme Support and Policy Advice;
- Policy Research and Development;
- Policy Positioning and Representation;
- Partnerships and Resource Mobilization;
- Knowledge Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme Support and Policy Advice
- Conduct relevant analysis and guidance and prepare initial drafts of technical policy advice and programme support documents that responds to country office needs;
- Support country offices in integrating policy advice in country programme frameworks and projects;
- Coordinate with the Country Support Team and the UNDP-GEF Ecosystems and Biodeiveristy to support countries in Africa in mainstreaming environment in country level programming, including the process to develop UNDAFs and CPAPs, and “Delivering as One” processes;
- Monitor the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals combining ecosystems, poverty, livelihoods and social inclusion, including on the context of post-crisis recovery;
- Prepare materials to support the application of integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including through participation in Development Solutions Teams (DSTs), to meet policy and programming needs in line with corporate guidance and standards;
- Provide support to roll out and application of relevant risk management tools across country typologies;
- Incorporate gender equality and human rights’-based approach in policy and programming work; and
- Support UNDP SURGE for country offices.
Support Policy Development
- Conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes pertaining to issues of Natural Capital, with an emphasis on integrated land and water management, marine and coastal management, and impacts of extractive industries on biodiversity and ecosystems, to support policy development and innovation;
- Review and assess policies in relevant thematic area with the objective to identify gaps and opportunities for development of new policies and to guide the overall team priorities and workplans;
- Contribute to development of guidance in the specific thematic area, and related tools for the implementation of global policy standards, including coordinating testing and rolling out of tools and methodologies;
- Take part in the process of analyzing, improving and adapting policies for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas based on policy initiatives designed;
- Provide context input to support the quality assurance of policy services and foster policy innovation in the specific thematic area to enhance programme delivery.
Policy Positioning and Representation
- Conduct research and analysis and draft materials to support mobilizing, fostering and strengthening strategic partnerships with UN entities and other relevant bodies;
- Draft and aid the development of briefings and speeches, as applicable, especially for country-specific meetings;
- Prepare materials to aid in advocating the importance of the thematic area in various fora, including academia and civil society, with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms; and
- Support team’s engagement in UN interagency coordination in relevant policy areas by providing research insight in specific thematic area, especially when country-focused.
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Undertake research for partnership building and resource mobilization, developing first draft of papers and marketing materials, and participating in relevant country-focused external meetings, in line with the Bureau’s partnership and resource mobilization strategy;
- Perform analysis and research to support the implementation of regional partnership strategies with UN and external partner institutions, including governments, private sector, academia, NGOs, and CSOs; and
- In coordination with other policy teams in the Regional Hub, leverage support from bilateral donors and foundations for support to countries in Africa on natural capital;
- Participate in relevant external meetings, including resource mobilization, partnership and advocacy activities with UN partners, permanent missions, and external stakeholders.
- Keep an up-to-date library of knowledge related to the thematic area at region-specific level and proactively share documents with team members and respond to their specific requests for information; and
- Contribute to the development and review of knowledge products in close coordination with HQ and Regional Hub teams by analyzing and sharing lessons learnt and programme evaluation results.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
Extractive Industries Management
- Knowledge of NRM concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Natural Resources Management
- Knowledge of Natural Resources Management and ability to apply in development situations.
- Knowledge of various programme information for research to provide recommendation and guidance to management.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Knowledge of Crisis Governance concepts and principles, including governance in recovery and peacebuilding contexts and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Natural Capital and Environment
- Green Economy and Green Growth: Knowledge of Green Economy concept and green growth issues, including green commodities, supply chains and poverty-environment nexus, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Project and Programme Management
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Report and Brief Writing
- Ability to prepare quality reports and briefs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in development economics, environmental sciences, social sciences or related disciplines.
- 5 years of professional work experience providing policy advice and programme support in the general area of Natural Resource Management in different development contexts.
- Experience working in developing country settings is required and experience in crisis contexts is an asset.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral;
- Working knowledge of another UN language preferably relevant to the region in which this position is based is an asset.