Procurement Officer – UN Women
United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women -UN Women is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Procurement Officer – UN Women
Description of assignment title: Procurement Assistant
Assignment country: Ethiopia
Sustainable Development Goal: 5. Gender equality
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
Host entity: UNWomen
Duration: 12 months
Number of assignments: 1
Duty stations: Addis Ababa
Mission and objectives
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women supports United Nations Member States in setting international standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to formulate and enforce the laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and that they truly benefit women and girls around the world.
The Operations Unit supports programme implementation for the country office through provision of operations services in the areas of finance, procurement, human resources, administration/logistics and ICT. The operations teams work in close collaboration with UN Women regional and headquarters units for policy, procedures and systems guidance to ensure adherence to corporate policies and procedures. The procurement function is responsible for the procurement of goods and services locally and internationally for programme implementation, guidance and support to programme teams. the Procurement Assistant supports the execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Procurement Assistant also works in collaboration with programme and operations staff to successfully deliver procurement services.
- Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Operations Manager or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Procurement Assistant will: 1. Provide administrative and coordination support to procurement strategies in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Research and draft responses to enquiries for clearance by the Operations Manager;
Provide inputs to the implementation of procurement management policies and strategies on cost saving and reduction;
- Implement procurement management policies and strategies;
- Contribute to the development of sourcing strategies.
- 2. Coordinate procurement processes for the Country Office
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for programmes/projects;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and
- projects equipment, supplies and services, as necessary;
- Prepare Request for Quotations (RFQ), Invitation to Bids (ITBs) or Request for
- Proposals (RFPs) documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, as necessary;
- Perform Buyer role in Atlas, prepare/close Purchase Orders (POs) and contracts in and outside Atlas;
- Prepare submissions to the Procurement Review Committee (PRC), as necessary. 3.
- Coordinate contract management processes for the Country Office
- Provide administrative support to contract management processes; maintain databases;
- Develop and update the rosters of suppliers;
- Maintain filing system. 4. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing dBCoRqw DmW5B7
- Participate in training for the operations/projects staff;
- Provide support to the synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices. 5. Organize logistical services
- Organize hotel and event arrangements for all official UN Women meetings/ functions, engagements, ensure that all requirements are catered for as required;
Age: 27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
- 3 years of experience in procurement, administration, accounting at the national and/or international level;
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Knowledge of procurement processes, systems, administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Area(s) of expertise
- Procurement and contracting
- Driving license
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in in administration, procurement, finance/accounting or related field Procurement certification CIPS or similar will be an asset
Competencies and values
- Teamwork and respect for diversity:
- Planning and organizing: Other information
- Living conditions and remarks
Addis Ababa is the capital of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The population is estimated at about 4 million or so. Addis Ababa located in the Ethiopian highlands at an altitude of 2,500-2,700 meters. The climate is sunny and temperate, but it can be very cold at night, with freezing temperature at times. It is therefore advisable to bring warm clothing and foresee using heaters and/or log fires when necessary. Addis Ababa is the headquarters for the UN Economic Commission for Africa as well as the African Union (ex-OAU). Thus, there is a very large community of expatriates from all over the world. There are some 80 embassies/diplomatic missions. Housing is most of the time readily available and the rents are, on average, reasonable. Most foodstuffs, beverages, household goods, furniture and clothing, mostly imported from the Middle/Far East, South Africa and Europe, or local brands, can be found, although they can be expensive. Meat, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap and abundantly available. The basic infrastructures – roads, utilities, and telecommunications – are below standard, as are medical facilities, which are still largely inadequate, although a few private clinics and hospitals provide reasonably good routine care. There are lots of tourist attractions to visit around the country, although the amenities are often poor to average. Several restaurants around the city serve local or international cuisine and there are numerous social and cultural events throughout the year organized by the international and local communities. Sports facilities (fitness, tennis, swimming, riding, golf, etc.) exist in the major hotels or in different establishments around the city. There are no major or special security concerns within Addis Ababa city limits. As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply for this position on the website by Clicking the following link below
Application Deadline :5 April, 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: