Principal Science Officer – African Union
Principal Science Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: Company’s Scale
Place of Work: Addis Ababa,Ethiopia.
Principal Science Officer
- Take technical and intellectual lead in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to Africa CDC.
- Provide support in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation.
- Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
- Provide support in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Develop materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units as required.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
- Master degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Science, Health-Services Research and ten (10) years of experience in supporting and/or leading public health or public health research programmes out of which six (6) and three (3) years need to be at managerial and supervisory levels respectively.
- Candidates must have a University Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Science, Health-Services Research and twelve (12) years of experience in supporting and/or leading public health or public health research programmes, out of which six (6) and three years should be at expert and supervisory level.
- Demonstrated expertise in public health and/or clinical outcomes research (such as, but not limited to, retrospective or prospective case-control and cohort studies, observational studies, clinical-economic modeling and analysis, /meta-analysis), including interpreting statistical analysis and reporting of research outcomes is required.
- Experience in leading public health, epidemiology and outcomes research in different geographic regions, particularly in Africa, is highly desirable.
- Broad experience in collaborating with research and program partners and in managing multiple tasks and complex projects is expected.
- Demonstrated experience and proven ability to effectively serve and represent organizational scientific interests as a member of a scientific review committee, study group, public health task group, or comparable groups delegated responsibility for reviewing and developing public health scientific policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Familiarity and practical experience with implementing public health research and programs linked to One Health strategies.
- Strong scientific management and technical expertise related to all applicable functional areas.
- Expert knowledge and relevant experience in management of epidemiology, health services or outcomes research within a government agency or academic institution or research organization within a public health context. Applicable and relevant private-sector experience within a research organization or life-sciences company will also be considered.
- Mastery of the theories, concepts, principles, practices, methods and techniques of public health program administration and other aspects of the field of public health in order to resolve especially difficult and critical questions, problems and issues that may not be resolved by traditional methods;
- Mastery of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness or the improvement of complex management processes and systems;
- Expert knowledge of the principles, concepts, methods and techniques used in the field of international/national public health in order to analyze, evaluate and provide expert advice and consultation in planning, developing and enhancing scientific research and program delivery;
- Record of high-quality, peer-reviewed epidemiology and/or outcomes research publications is required. Experience in training and mentoring staff in the peer-review publication process is highly desirable;
- Ability to identify and quantify requirements to support public health initiatives;
- Comprehensive knowledge of strategic planning and evaluation processes;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and lead effectively in a multicultural and cross -functional team environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and by writing, program goals, and objectives, including scientific justification of research and programs and specific requirements;
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including office administration and statistical software applications and online digital information systems.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested applicants, who fulfill the above requirement, can submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to: Click Here
Deadline: 29, October , 2023.