Peace Corps Medical Officer Job at US Embassy Ethiopia
Peace Corps Medical Officer Job opening at U.S. Embassy
Personal Services Contractor (PSC) vacancy announcement
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: Peace Corps Medical Officer
OPENING DATE: July 18, 2018
CLOSING DATE: August 15, 2018
WORK HOURS: Full time, 40 hours/week
SALARY RANGE: $54,930 – $98,874 (paid in ETB) depending on experience
The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor or Nurse Practitioner to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The PCMO will provide health care to U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers in Ethiopia and will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Ethiopia and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC.
- Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
- Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
- Response to emergency medical situations
- Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in Ethiopia
- Ability to conduct trainings on health related issues
- Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout Ethiopia
- Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
- Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
- Alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate of accredited school
MDs must be a graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research
- Current license to practice
- Relevant clinical experience in primary care after medical school
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
- Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
- Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Program management, administrative experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team
- Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skills
- Willing to travel to sites in Ethiopia
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to obtain an American visa
Candidates need to address their ability to meet the minimum qualifications in their submitted application materials
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following:
G.1. MD Privileging Form download (PDF 120KB)
G.2. NP Privileging Form Download ( PDF 112 KB)
PCMO Application skill Survey Form Download (DOC 146 KB)
PCMO Application Form Download (DOC 54 KB)
- A completed PCMO Application form, a completed PCMO applicant skills survey, a completed Privileging form. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications. Forms can be obtained from the Peace Corps office in Sarbet. Interested candidates should call 251-11-320-03-16 to get directions to the office.
- A cover letter
- A resume or C.V. that includes:
- Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
- Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
- Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
- An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
- Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.)
- Photocopies of:
Diploma from medical school.
Professional medical license. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
Professional certification if Nurse Practitioner
- The candidate should also provide the following:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English. Official translation is not required.
SUBMIT APPLICATION EITHER*
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via Post: Peace Corps/Recruit, P.O. Box 7788, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
* Select only one delivery method, please do not submit both via email and post.
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position are welcome to apply.