|Position Title||Operations Assistant-Logistics|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia,|
|Classification||General Service Staff, G4|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCOM) and Head of Programs, with close coordination with Senior Operations Officer-Addis Ababa; and under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office. The successful candidate shall be responsible to carry out duties related to the organizations movement activities. In particular he/she will be responsible for the following:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate with Movement Department staffs on upcoming departures and Ensure that all necessary documents (ARRA permission letter, Emergency travel documents or pass port and exit visas etc.) are prepared and secured in advance.
2. Prepare and submit official letters to ARRA and immigration offices to facilitate Emergency Travel document /ETD/for all refugees departing to the third country under IOM auspices; and submit the ETD to Addis movement colleagues on time.
3. Notify the supervisor and Operations Staffs of any problems related to the ARRA permission letter, Immigration Emergency Travel document and others on a daily basis.
4. Coordinate with Movement, Sub-office and Transit Centre staffs on the upcoming departures, exit documents and immigration formalities as well as smooth arrangement of logistical needs from point of departure (camp) to Addis Ababa to effect the smooth departure of refugees.
5. Support the actual refugee movements to and from Addis Ababa and ensure provision of Logistical assistance for refugees and resettlement interview officers as needed during different resettlement interviews (CWS/RSC & USCIS), Cultural orientation, medical and departure missions
6. Perform the document verification activities being requested by different embassies as per established guidelines and standard, and submit the verification report to the respective embassies in a timely manner.
7. Prepare cost breakdown and invoice for each document verification based on the different clients’ SOP and guidelines and analysis statistical data, generate and submit report.
8. Drives office vehicles for transport of authorized personnel and refugees, and to report any problems needing assistance/repair, completing log books for every trip undertaken,
9. In case of accidents, ensure that it has been handled within rules & regulations of the organization. Follow up immediately with the Head Driver, Security Focal Point, and RMU departments, liaise with Traffic Police and subsequently Insurance company, as needed, to claim/recover damages,
10. Ensure refugees embarked & disembarked and escort them between IOM Offices and processing/departure locations ensuring that appropriate photo IDs are verified,
11. Undertake airport duty for all cases departing or arriving under the auspices of IOM as per the laid down regulations and notify any problem related to refugees’ departure / arrival at the airport with the supervisor and movement staffs.
12. Handling official documents to and from different UN agencies, embassies and implementing partners and ensure delivery confirmations are returned for appropriate handling,
13. Any other duties within the incumbent’s capabilities as assigned by the supervisor or the Head of Office
Required Qualifications and Experience
· University degree in social science or Collage diploma and four years for degree holders and 6 years for Diploma holders on job experience in transport and logistics
· Have third grade driving license and excellent driving skills.
· Professional experience in resettlement, logistics and transportation, is required;
· Experiences in refugee programs and other humanitarian intervention especially on refugees’ movement, interview and document verification.
· Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government, UN-agencies, different countries embassies and international organizations.
· Demonstrated experience in Logistics management and implementation, including resource/financial management,
· Appreciation of different cultures and the plight of migrants and refugees in Ethiopia.
· Experience in working humanitarian agencies, especially the UN agencies, I/NGOs, supporting refugees is essential.
· Thorough knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Office packages – (Outlook, Word, Access and Excel) is required.
· Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic. Knowledge of other widely spoken languages in Ethiopia would be an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates
- clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM ( optional depending on position level)
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.