UNFPA is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position
Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist, Gender and Human Rights Branch, Addis Ababa
This post is non-rotational.
Location : Ethiopia, Addis Ababa
Post type: Fixed term appointment
Duration : One year (renewable) (*)
- The M&E Specialist provides support for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Programme on FGM (JP) within the Gender and Human Rights Branch, Technical Division in New York.
- You will report directly to the Senior Adviser, Coordinator of the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Programme on the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation.
- How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to delivering excellence in programme results.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Coordinator of the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Programme on the elimination of Female Genital Mutilation (FGMJP). S/he will provide technical support and quality assurance to the FGM Joint Programme’s planning, monitoring, evaluation, research, and knowledge management, at global, regional, and country level.
S/he will strengthen capacities for robust planning (AWP), monitoring, and evaluation work within the conceptual and programme framework. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the indicators and measures incorporated in the results framework of the Joint Programme are tracked at the country level and incorporated into the online monitoring platform. S/he will be responsible for writing consolidated performance-based and results-driven reports on progress towards the elimination of FGM. These tasks will be conducted in consultation with UNICEF M&E specialists. S/he will contribute to the Technical Division-wide inputs towards strategic planning.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
A. Generate information for updating the database of programme results and indicators
- Develop and update, as necessary, tools for collecting data from countries and regions with respect to existing Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks.
- Liaise with regional, sub regional and country offices for the collection and analysis of data from various sources including the COAR for the update of the M&E framework and related data base;
- Support country offices to conduct annual programme surveys, especially on social norms changes (questionnaire development, sampling, analysis);
Guide the analysis of data to provide disaggregated data for evidence based advocacy, informed policy and program design and implementation;
Collaborate with the Data and Analytics team in UNFPA and UNICEF
B. Support the preparation of the Annual Work Plan
In collaboration with colleagues in TD and the geographic divisions, implement a coordinated approach to the two UN agencies joint annual work planning and reporting;
Track work plan implementation on a regular basis, and support the resolution of bottlenecks affecting the achievement of results;
Assist the coordinator in reviewing country work plans for improved performance of the JP.
C. Prepare performance-based and results-driven annual and other reports
- Prepare annual report of the JP, in collaboration with colleagues and the geographic divisions;
- Prepare, as needed, evidence-based documentation on various issues for dissemination of findings internally within UNFPA; and, to donors and other partners.
- Prepare, as needed, briefing notes, speeches/talking points on various issues for the JP;
- Assist in the data collection and analysis of Value for Money (VfM) assessment for the Joint Programme;
- Provide technical support to facilitate the efficient evaluations and impact feasibility assessment of Phase IV of the Joint Programme.
- Support the programme evaluation in collaboration with colleagues in JP and the
- Evaluation Office. This implies preparing the review of the literature generated at the global, regional, and country level, organizing it in a coherent way, participating and contributing to the elaboration of the terms of reference, reviewing the inception report, and final report, and monitoring the management response
D. Provide technical assistance to country offices and regions
Work with the geographic divisions to support country offices in programme implementation and achievement of expected results as per the Monitoring and Evaluation Framework and other reporting modalities. This implies tracking data in Data For All (DFA) and in SIS, assessing consistency, communicating with COs to report inconsistencies, and follow up.
Provide technical guidance on M&E, programme tracking, and data collection on programme indicators, to ensure an efficient programme implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting;
E. Contribute to TD wide inputs towards strategic planning
Support the FGM JP’s contribution to TD-wide strategic planning and conceptual frameworks on programme planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting, within the context of the UNFPA SP.
Contribute to the monitoring and reporting of the UNFPA Strategic Plan.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in statistics, Demography, Economics, or other related disciplines.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international level in developing, implementing, managing monitoring, and evaluating portfolios.
- Strong quantitative, qualitative, and analytical research skills;
- Demonstrates experience in designing conceptual and results frameworks, M&E tools, and strategies;
- Demonstrates experience in being able to define theories of change and guide programme implementation staff on the causal chain between inputs, intermediate, and ultimate results.
- Experience with using data collection and analysis software.
- Effective communications skills in translating results, indicators, and measurement language into actionable steps for programme staff;
- Demonstrates ability to synthesize disparate measures, indicators, and results into cohesive narratives on programmatic progress for the purposes of reporting to senior management and donors;
- Experience with data and measures on gender and FGM is highly desirable;
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organizations, preferably in a country office, an asset
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change Core Competencies:
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
● Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
● Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners / building strategic alliances and partnerships
● Delivering results-based programmes
● Internal and external communication and advocacy for results
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following link below;
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm Notice to applicants: In accordance with the rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, are required to renounce such status upon their appointment. Exceptions to this rule are very limited and can be made only for: (a) stateless persons; (b) newly appointed staff members who have applied for citizenship by naturalization, when such citizenship will be granted imminently; (c) acting staff members in the General Service and related categories with permanent residency status, on promotion to the Professional category; (d) staff members appointed under a temporary appointment. Please understand that UNFPA is not in a position to provide advice on or assistance in applying for any citizenship
Closing date : 26 April 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: