Medical Officer, Nairobi, Kenya – WFP
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Nairobi, Kenya
Job Title:Medical Officer, Nairobi, Kenya – WFP
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Type of Contract:Service Contract
- Duty Station:Nairobi Regional Bureau, Kenya
- Contract Duration:9 months
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) seeks individuals of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability .
The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern and Central Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
The Medical Officer is appointed as a surge staff for areas of staff health and safety while providing hygiene and safety training, personal first aid training, review of medical and casualty response, assessment of health, safety and environmental issues of WFP staff and offices during COVID-19 Pandemic.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Doctorate in Medicine; Postgraduate medical qualification in, preferably, one of the following medical specialties; emergency medicine, internal medicine, occupational health and safety, and/or public health
Currently registered to practice medicine in own country or another UN member state is required.
Professional trainer’s certification related to infectious diseases i.e., Ebola, COVID-19
Fluency (level C) in English language. Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Have vast experience in any outbreak response and emergencies
- Minimum 5 years of progressive professional experience in healthcare, at least, 1-2 years should be in an international organization
- At least five (5) years progressive experience and practice in general medicine in developing countries or countries in conflict.
- Creation of training programmes
- Workshop & presentation training
- An asset would be experienced within the UN system or a similar NGO.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
- Excellent communication, presentation, and drafting skills
- Experience in emergency management (crisis or disaster medicine), travel medicine, tropical and infectious disease
- Knowledge of addressing the psycho social needs of humanitarian workers
- Project management
- Formal training in CPR and, preferably in Basic Cardiopulmonary Life Support (BCLS) and Advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) or equivalent
- Emergency medical care
Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results. c49LGcb DmW5BQ
- Persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Remains calm in stressful situations
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
What you will do: Under the functional supervision and guidance of the Regional Medical Officer, the Medical Officer will be responsible for the following key duties:
To contribute in the design and coordination of the delivery of medical services in the region for efficient and effective promotion, prevention and protection of the health and safety of WFP staff following the Wellness Strategy and the Regional Strategic objective
Provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and contribute to the formulation of regional strategies and approaches where appropriate
Provide travel medicine services for staff on official travel, incorporating destination-specific health advice, facilitating access to immunization, prophylactic medications and travel medical kits
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (2)
Access and liaise with local medical facilities to ascertain proper medical care rendered and establish a referral list and updated list of reasonable and customary costs, whilst monitoring and verifying appropriateness, reasonableness and customary nature of major medical bills / treatment as required.
Provide surge capacity to the corporate and UN system emergency response capacity including mass casualty incidents.
The medical officer is NOT the primary care physician of WFP Staff: however, s/he does provide first aid emergency services in response to accidents occurring in the workplace.
Implement staff health training (e.g., ongoing COVID-19 awareness, malaria prevention measures, first aid training).
Implement health and SOP training with Cooperating Partners in relation to aspects of WFPs operations where WFP staff and CPs could be at risk of COVID-19.
Participate in pre planning of WFPs Emergency response operations (e.g. Food distributions) to ensure discussions filter planning through a health lens alongside logistics etc. to ensure WFP staff have appropriate protection measures in place.
Propose, assess, update as needed SOPs for staff protection, in specific higher risk occupational settings (e.g., food distributions, ports and warehouses with casual laborers, drivers and cleaners).
Coordinate with health sector colleagues on the UNCTs to improve healthcare access for UN staff and family members.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (3)
- Assess and respond to increase of disease incidents among WFP staff (e.g., high incidence rate of malaria in sub offices).
- Assess disease outbreaks or other environmental hazards that could have impact on WFP’s operations and recommend mitigating measures.
- Identify (confidentially) staff with stress or other psychological concerns and coordinate assistance as appropriate with Regional Staff Counselor and the UNDSS Counselor.
- Manage, advise, and report on all health matters related to staff including:
- Performing and assessing medical examinations and clearances for national staff related to recruitment, periodic medical examination, pre-departure briefing for missions to the field, management or assistance with follow-up of chronic medical condition diagnosed and for which treatment has already started etc.
- Leave due to illness; or identifying health hazards for staff and/or dependents (work-related and/or environmental).
- Ensuring compliance to all UN medical protocols and recommendations (HIV/AIDS, first-aid training PEP kit country specific protocols including PICT and VCCT).
- Support WFP Country Offices in the management and monitoring of the implementation of the Service Level Agreement or Memoranda of Understanding regarding the sharing of DPKO/DFS Missions field medical services to WFP staff
NB:Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply for this position on the website by Clicking the following link below.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Deadline for Application :February 01, 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: