Local Field Assistant
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
- Local Field Assistant
- Duty Station: Arba Minch, Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s Region, Ethiopia
- Type of Appointment: Individual Service Agreement
- Employment Fraction: Non Staff-When Act. Employed
- Organizational context
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (lSID) in member states. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development and the related sustainable development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country effort towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years, UNlDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”, The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmatic which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Digitalization, Technology and Agri-Business(DTA), coordinates and mainstreams the fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in its technical cooperation, strategic, normative activities aiming at fostering the inclusive and sustainable development in the era of 41R. It creates new and innovative technical cooperation deliverable in the areas of trade, investment, technology, innovation and agro-industry and agribusiness.
The Department of Agri-Business (DATA/AGR) provides a range of technical cooperation services to assist developing countries add value to the output of their agricultural sector and generate employment opportunities in off-farm activities for rural communities, thereby contributing to increased food security and a sustainable reduction of poverty. The department provides support for the development of agri-business corridors developing countries in collaboration with International Financial, Institutions.
The position is located in the Sustainable Food Systems Division (DTAI AGRISFSI promotes ISID through the promotion of food systems that de-fiver food and nutrition security without compromising economic, social. and environmental bases to generate food security and nutrition for future generations. The Division Is responsible for identifying, developing and managing programs to improve the competitiveness of the food and agribusiness sectors through access to support services, finance, markets and trade opportunities. In response to global trends and Member States request, UNIDO through (DTA/AGR/SFSJ is placing an emphasis on nutrition and qualitative aspects of food processing as a critical element of food security, and innovative adaptation to climate change as a means of strengthening the resilience of smallholder farmers.
The project phase “Establishing Moringa-based Economic Development Program to improve the Livelihood of Rural Women in Ethiopia” was developed under an official request from the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The project is funded by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AlCS) and supported rural women t s development through technical assistance with skill development, particularly in the organization of women farmers’ clusters, introduction of value-added rural agro-processing units, packaging and quality assurances for domestic, regional and international markets. In this context, the pilot phase aimed at developing the Moringa Value Chain (MVC) for the improvement of the livelihood of rural communities, with a particular focus on the nutritional and gender aspects. Phase I of the MVC project was completed and has been transitioned to Phase II. The crop maintenance on the field has been has been energized with the training of the beneficiaries in the field.
In the Ethiopian context, the links between agriculture, agro-industry development, gender and nutrition have important impactions on poverty reduction, biodiversity conservation and environmental sustainability; therefore, rural women’s role is critical and necessary in all development agendas. This project aims to build on the achievements of the initial pilot phase implemented by UNIDO, to scale-up Moringa production and productivity (specifically M. Stenopetala and M. oleifera), strengthen the value chain through integrated utilization of natural resources, and improve value addition through processing and marketing in a sustainable way. To realize its objectives, the project will focus on improving food and nutrition security and livelihood of rural households, targeting especially rural women, through the development of an inclusive and sustainable Moringa Value Chain In particular, the project will: i) Enhance sustainable production and productivity of Moringa through integrated utilization of nature resources; ii) Improve value addition of Moringa through processing and marketing of Moringa products; iii) Strengthen a nutrition-sensitive Moringa value chain through inclusive agri-food systems, promotion of nutritious products and a conducive enabling environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager/ the Technic advisor at UNIDO HQ, a local Field Assistance will support the Implementation of the project activities, In close collaboration with the National Expert, follow up the activities of the pilot project site in Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNPR)-Arba Minch district to maintain and ensure the participation and integration of the smallholder farmers and particular female led farmers group to the operations of the Moringa Value Chain (MVC) project. The project assistant will be responsible for the following activities:
Main & functions
Under the overall general direction of UNIDO Project Manager at HQ and in close coordination with the UNIDO Representative and field office in Sudan, the selected person will perform the following tasks:
1. Implementation of activities defined under the “Moringa Value Chain Development ” project component
• provide support to the project team and location counterparts in the delivery of services, .including logistic planning for training’s, delivery of equipment, etc.:
• In consultation ‘With relevant counterparts, identify or confirm beneficiaries/participants Of project activities; In consultation with the Technical Advisor and the National Expert, identify requirements for field activities .
2. Monitoring and tracking indicators
• Review relevant reports, the project document, inception report and baseline studies to understand the existing capacity and needs for Improved technology models and training for the Moringa value chains;
• Based on indicators outlined in the project document and with guidance of the TA, collect field data to track progress of the project Impact on the beneficiaries.
3. Financial administration
provide support and guidance to the Administrative Assistant In managing timely and efficient manner all the administrative and financial tasks related to the project Implementation.
• Submit monthly reports of activities;
• In coordination with the TA, assist in the preparation of the project newsletters and publicity materia
• Assist in the preparation of the project briefing reports and presentations for reporting to the donors;
• Performs other duties as assigned
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
• WE FOCUS ON People: cooperate to fully reach our potential -and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
• WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those, we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
• WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
• WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
- Completed Secondary School level of education or other relevant qualification in the area of agricultural and rural development. A first degree in Agronomy, horticulture, rural development or any subject related to the job description is an asset
- A minimum of 8 years of working experience in rural project administration, providing support to managerial and professional staff, to assist in the project development and implementation. Experience within the UN system, Donors community, NGOs and/or a consultancy company is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required. Knowledge of Amharic, and Local languages is and an additional asset .
How to Apply
- Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both’ at work and outside.
Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for Jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System
Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process.
Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets In respect of themselves, their spouses and defendants, under the procedures established by the Director General.
Visit the UNIDO web site for details on how to apply: www.unido.org
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.
Notice to applicants:
UNIDO does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee In connection with the application or recruitment process. If you have received a solicitation for the
payment of a fee, please disregard it. Vacant positions within UNIDO are advertised ~n the official UNIDO website. Should you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNIDO and requesting payment of a fee, please contact:
- Application Deadline 17:30, Dec. 4,2020