Institutional Transformation Expert – AU
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: EXPERT (INSTITUTIONAL TRANSFORMATION)
The African Union Commission (AUC) adopted a Strategic Plan that started being implemented from 2004, and expects to end in 2007. The plan seeks to represent a comprehensive agenda for Africa’s development. The AUC’s Institutional Transformation represents one of the four main programmes of the Strategic Plan. Through this (the Institutional Transformation programme), the AUC aspires to build a more efficient organization based on standards and best practices in the management of international organizations; implement a Human Resource Management system capable of attracting and maintaining the right caliber of staff; transform the image of the institution through an adequate external communication policy and promote a humancentred and results-oriented management culture.
Job Title: EXPERT (INSTITUTIONAL TRANSFORMATION)
Department: Bureau of the Chairperson
Supervisor: Chief of Staff, Bureau of the Chairperson
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
In collaboration with stakeholders, the successful candidate will be required to provide the leadership and expertise required to identify and implement the activities and tasks embodied in the challenges summarized above. In specific terms, the candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- To coordinate and facilitate the implementation of the Institutional Transformation Process (ITP). To provide overall management oversight, technical and direct support for effective implementation of the ITP.
- This will include technical advice, financial and administrative management, monitoring and evaluation and reporting on all aspects of the ITP.
- To review and update, in close collaboration with relevant departments and Project Teams, the current ITP roadmap and propose a realistic sequencing of activities.
- This will include the development of an overall budget expenditure and service delivery model that matches the realities of the ITP implementation.
- To prepare a detailed work plan for each ITP Project, covering the duration, activities and budget, including expected outputs and performance indicators to monitor progress in achieving the outputs.
- To identify and/or assess the requirements for additional financial resources, technical assistance/consulting services and subcontracting to implement the ITP.
- To organize meetings, retreats or workshops, in close consultation with Project Teams so as to ensure ownership and internalization of the ITP process by the AU Commission Staff.
- To ensure that the ITP implementation delivers visible benefits by regularly evaluating the ITP and monitoring progress towards achievement of targets.
- This will include an internal and external survey focused on measuring whether the ITP is successful and how it is changing the overall structure of the organization and its culture.
- To perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
3. QUALIFICATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A Master’s University Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, or any other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of Ten (10) years of relevant and practical experience in conducting change management, institutional transformation and capacity building in developmental organizations.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Programme Management Tools (Planning & Budgeting, Monitoring & Evaluation, Reporting);
- Excellent knowledge of change management issues and organizational development.
- Practical experience gained through involvement in institutional development and change management, research, teaching or related work is acceptable.
- Record of relevant publications would be an added advantage.
- Ability to meet deadlines, and excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Mastery (spoken and written) of any AU working language.
- Knowledge of more than one AU working language will be an added advantage.
- Computer Literacy (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
6. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
7. AGE REQUIREMENT:
Candidates must preferably be between 35 and 50 years old.
8. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointmentwill be made on a fixed term contract for a period of One (1) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewable for an additional subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 110,107.14inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 98,501.89 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.orgnot later than 20th January 2014.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)