ICT ASSOCIATE (REGIONAL SERVICE CENTER FOR AFRICA)
Location : Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA
Application Deadline : 15-Jan-15
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : GS-7
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ICT Analyst, the ICT Associate provides leadership in execution of ICT services in the Regional Hub, implements ICT management systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for review and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the Regional Hub productivity. The ICT Associate promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Associate supervises the ICT Associate (GS6) and works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project teams in the Regional Hub, COs and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex ICT-related issues, collaborates with Regional ICT Officers (RIO), Regional Bureau ICT Managers (RBIM), ICT Managers and other ICT Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies;
- Effective functioning of the Regional Hub hardware and software packages;
- Networks administration;
- Provision of web management services;
- Provision of administrative support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Ensures implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment;
- Provision of inputs to elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT. Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in ICT in consultation with office management;
- Development and update of the ICT annual plan;
- Provision of support to the use of Atlas (UNDP’s implementation of PeopleSoft ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
2. Ensures effective functioning of the Regional Hub hardware and software packages:
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, making routine repairs and change of hardware electronic components;
- Supervision of the implementation of corporate UNDP systems;
- Development of new software packages for high impact results (e.g. office management system, electronic registry, etc.) as required.
3. Ensures efficient networks administration:
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes establishing directories, menus and drive-mappings, configuring network printers and providing user access. Ensure that the UNDP desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks;
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems;
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access;
- Maintenance of up-to-date parameters of information for the network clients and electronic mail;
- Implementation of backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Organization of off-site storage of backups;
- Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recover processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities;
- Timely LAN Infrastructure and Internet connectivity upgrade to meet UNDP requirements.
4. Provides web management services:
- Identification of the opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency (office management system, donor profile software, knowledge management systems);
- Creation and maintenance of the Regional Hub web site and intranet ensuring that the content is updated and meets the requirements of UNDP.
5. Provides administrative support:
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new equipment for the Regional Hub and projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review of quotations and bids;
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of the software and hardware;
- Maintenance of the library of reference materials;
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Regional Hub:
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, information provision;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on ICT issues;
- Maintenance of staff training profiles;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in ICT;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis.
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change.
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems.
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information.
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. University Degree in Computer Science desirable, but it is not a requirement. Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- 7 years of working experience in network administration and use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of database packages, experience in web design.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station, both oral and written, is required; working knowledge of other UN official language is an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.