United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Human Resources Assistant, Special Service Agreement, Semera, Ethiopia
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
No. Position/s: 1 (One)
VA No.: 158933
Contract: Special Service Agreement Grade: SSA – Level 5
Duty Stations: Semera (1)
Position Duration: 6 Months
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
The position is based in Semera. The job holder will be responsible for the accountabilities outlined hereunder. The job holder is expected to take responsibility for the completion of a full range of HR activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices. The job holder is able to recommend a course of action within their area of expertise and may provide guidance to other staff. The job holders report to an HR Officer in the Country Office, Head of Semera Sub Office, or the designate.
To perform a range of HR tasks to support accurate implementation of WFP policies and procedures and facilitate the effective functioning of a client-focused and strategy-oriented HR services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high quality HR services are delivered to clients.
Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other staff, to support their development and increased knowledge of HR systems and procedures required to perform their duties.
- Liaise with other internal units/offices on HR related matters, i.e. payroll, contracts, etc. and provide necessary information in order to enable timely HR services.Extract and compile HR data on staff recruitment and selection, contractual conditions, entitlements, performance and training requirements, to support analysis and reporting needs.
- Provide administrative support in various HR activities in the areas of work allocated by the professional officer including on boarding of new staff members in compliance with relevant processes and procedures.
- Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards.
- Draft various HR documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment contracts, transfer letters, training-related documents, etc.) ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines.
- Use HR management systems for entering and updating a variety of HR data including assistance in monitoring various deadlines (e.g. contract expiration, PACE, etc), ensuring compliance with the established deadlines and accuracy of HR data.
- Support staff deployment and related administrative actions including preparation of basic reports, to facilitate efficient HR service enabling WFP to respond quickly to a crisis.
- Perform other duties as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Benefit and Entitlement:
- Process contract extensions & entitlements taking actions both on contractual documentation & information systems.
Provide advice to staff and managers on entitlements & benefits applicable to employees under different contractual status. Participate in the development and implementation of related information tools for staff.
Proactive coordination responsibility in timely and accurate time management records, including guidance to timekeepers and advice on leave entitlements to employees.
Verify benefit and other human resources-related claims for accuracy and conformance with rules and regulations; liaise with the HR unit in Addis Ababa for related actions.
- Handle recruitment for positions across the Sub Office establishing close coordination with recruiting managers.
- Responsible for contracts’ management & administration, including preparation of contracts, processing ERP system actions (like: WINGS), monitoring contract NTEs and liaising with managers for inputs.
- Contribute to reviewing recruitment procedures and business processes.
Active involvement and contribution in the identification and implementation of local, regional corporate initiatives to strengthen sourcing of talent.
Provide briefing and guidance to new employees and take an active role in the review of the on-boarding activities.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or another relevant field.
- Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible support work experience in general administrative work, including at least two years in human resources or other related field. Knowledge & Skills:Knowledge of general HR administrative work practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Good communication skills and basic understanding of HR principles and their application in order to respond to and resolve general HR queries. c8YBmcs DmW35D
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a wide range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Ability to collate and compile relevant data from a variety of sources in order to produce periodic reports for supervisor(s).
- Ability to monitor and record personnel files and documentation in an organised manner and in line with compliance standards. Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali language. Knowledge of other local languages is an added advantage.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has managed and implemented HR policy and procedures in line with corporate operating standards
- Has conducted specific HR Services activities such as payroll administration, aspects of recruitment and interviews administration
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to less experienced staff members
- Has provided briefing to new recruits as part of the onboarding process
- Has gained experience working across a range of international organizational contexts and with varying strategic priorities
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Deadline for applications: 10 March 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: