United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations. We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UNOPS Ethiopia office has in the recent past signed MOUs with the Government Ministries and other UN agencies to implement projects on Infrastructure, Procurement and Human Resources Management. In order to efficiently and effectively serve our partners, UNOPS Ethiopia office is in need of an experienced HR Associate. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Support Service Officer and general oversight by the Head of Support Services, the HR Associate provides support to HR services at UNOPS Ethiopia Office, ensuring high quality of work, accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. S/he promotes a client-oriented and consistent with rules and regulations approach in the Unit.
The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme, Project and Operations staff, and with UNOPS HQ staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Functional Responsibilities Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of HR Strategies and procedures
- Recruitment processes
- Administration of contracts, benefits and entitlements
- Planning and development
- Staff development and training
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of HR strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Contribution to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Implements UNOPS recruitment processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and implementation of a human resources management system in relation to planning, administering and monitoring of all matters related to human resources management concerning national and international staff and other UNOPS personnel
- Management of the recruitment process for international Consultants for the Office;
- Review of incoming requests relating to recruitment, contract extensions, transfers, exchange or loan, and separation of staff, consultants, or contractors, ensuring documentation is complete and in conformity with HR policies and procedures.
- Development and implementation of tracking tools to monitor recruitment status and other indicators for management and recruitment purposes.
- Monitoring and tracking of status of requests, initiating follow-up action to ensure selection review submission is timely accurate and contains complete documentation.
- Review of Requests for Personnel Action (RPA) forms to ensure correct budget allocation, and for separating staff, verification that no financial obligations are due to UNOPS;
- Review of consultants’ qualifications and experience and drafting of Terms of Reference; determination of daily remuneration to be paid in accordance with the established fee schedule;
- Briefing of staff and consultants regarding entry details and quick action to facilitate their taking up the assignment on a timely basis. Preparation of offer of appointment as well as the salary/fee computation for signature by the supervisor.
- Secure management of personnel records for all office staff and consultants, ensuring projects maintain the same for project national personnel;
- Oral and written response to staff inquiries regarding their conditions of service; drafting of correspondence in relation to the inquiries for signature by the Project Managers;
- Management/update of the staffing tables and provision of statistical summaries related to them, including arranging and keeping track of movements of UNOPS Regional Office/Projects Centre personnel;
- Logistical support for the recruitment of international staff for the office and to Operations Clusters in the overall recruitment of project staff
- Management of the CV/HR roster
3. Ensures efficient administration of contracts, benefits and entitlements, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Establishment and implementation of a system for monitoring and tracking transactions to ensure timely, consistent and equitable provision of services with a client focus
- Research of precedents and analysis of merits of specific requests and presentation of recommendations/solutions to supervisor
- Briefing and guidance to clients and partners on the application, interpretation and applicability of the UN rules and UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Briefing to staff on the conditions of service related to contracts and/or appointments/transfers
- Establishment and maintenance of a staff monitoring system to ensure timely retrieval of information as required.
4. Ensures efficient planning and management of the HR unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Well prepared unit work plan
- Quality output of the unit
- Performance evaluation of locally-recruited staff
- UNOPS Ethiopia Focal point for HR-related matters
- Production of statistical reports and preparation of data required for policy and issues papers
- Advice to office and project staff/consultants on HR-related issues
5. Provided support to staff development and training, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Planning,organizing and making logistical arrangements for workshops, corporate meetings and retreats
- Coordination of the collection of feedback on learning events and presentation of results for review purposes
- Design and presentation of training materials and course outlines
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on HR.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Professionally execute other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor, Project Manager or Head of Office.
7. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the UNOPS HR services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate and properly documented records enhance UNOPS capability in the HR management.
8. Perform other duties as assigned by Head of Support Services Competencies
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Planning and Organizing
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNOPS Practice Areas
- Develops substantive knowledge of one or more Practice Areas
- Promotes a learning environment in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities related to HR management,including administration of recruitment, contracting and performance evaluation, monitoring of transactions, reporting
- Knowledge of UNOPS HR rules and procedures
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Education: Secondary Education with specialized certification in HR. University Degree in HR, Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience: 5 to 7 years progressive experience in supporting a human resource management area. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.