Business and Administration,
Human Resource and Recruitment
Managerial Level (Manager, Supervisor, Director)
Save the Children is an exciting and dynamic organization that follows a holistic approach to achieve more for children and use its resources in an efficient and sustainable way. In every programming we aim to achieve results at scale, build partnership to influence others and increase our impact; look for innovate solutions to the problems children faces, campaign for better practice and ensure that Children’s voices are heard.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behavior towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Save the Children offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development. If you are interested to work in an organization that is determined to achieve dramatic change for the most vulnerable children, we encourage you to look through the job profile below.
HR Manager – EAST Hub
Place of Work
Monthly Salary in ETB
As per the organization Scale
No. of Positions
Length of Contract
One year with possibility of extension
The post holder is responsible for overseeing effective delivery of HR strategies and activities in the hub and ensuring that all SCI HR policies and procedures are communicated, implemented and monitored. S/he supports formulation and implementation of HR strategies and implement human resources initiatives to attract and retain competent workforce in the hub and its respective field offices. S/he is responsible for providing guidance and support to managers in the hub regarding HR policies and procedures, training and development, disciplinary matters and other sensitive personnel issues and is expected to ensure consistent compliance of HR policies, practices and the Country’s laws. S/he ensures that new employees are gone through CSG, Fraud and PSS trainings.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Direct Reports to: HR Director
Dotted line reports to: Program Operations Director
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Recruitment and selection:
- Liaise with the hub team and field offices in identifying their HR needs, develop HR plan and ensure that the recruitment process is initiated.
- Ensure that recruitment tracker is completed for each open position at different stages of the recruitment process.
- Oversee recruitment and interview plan is put in place for each open position and ensure recruiting managers are provided with constant update regarding open vacancies.
- Ensure FO HR Coordinators/Officers follow up recruitments with hiring managers regarding pending vacancies and provide support as needed in terms of reigniting any halted process and terminate the process if not needed.
- Ensure that open positions are efficiently and effectively filled with high calibre staff.
- Produce a regular recruitment update and quarter report.
- Work together with hiring managers to ensure gender diversity and equality is addressed in the recruitment process
- Oversee reference check is performed for potential employees
- Ensure that regret letters are sent out to candidates who reached the interview stage
- Actively take part in interviewing and selecting employees when deemed necessary.
- Assist the preparation and sending of offer packages.
- Coordinate with the CO HR team for inter-team support on recruitment activities.
- Support FOs in processing recruitments when needed by travelling to FOs or remotely as appropriate.
- Coordinate staff promotion, transfer, TDY, acting assignment and other related activities when requested in accordance with SCI HR policies and authority matrix.
- Oversee proper implementation of staff benefits package for Field office staffs and ensure that records are maintained and updated.
- Ensure that exit procedures are properly followed during staff separation.
- Support initiatives on staff wellbeing program.
- Liaise with line managers on planning and utilization of annual leave by creating proper awareness and making negotiations if necessary.
- Gather required staffing information and communicate to the insurance company within 3 days for inclusion of new staffs in the existing insurance policies and exclusion of separated staffs.
- Ensure that new staffs are registered with the government pension scheme and required documentations are submitted to POESSA.
Training and Development
- Coordinate development of annual training plan for the hub based on communicated needs through the performance review process and follow up and monitor successful implementation.
- Coordinate with CO HR team and other functions to ensure that staff capacity building initiatives accommodate relevant staffs of respective field offices of the hub.
- Build and coordinate the capacity of all HR staffs of the hub and its field offices.
- Maintain training database and truckers for management feedback.
- Provides coaching and development to HR Coordinators/Officers at field levels to enhance their skills in providing excellent HR service.
- Work together with relevant CO HR team to ensures proper filing of monthly and quarterly reports regarding training and development activities, highlighting areas for further support and strengthening.
- Ensure that new hires receive mandatory online trainings on safety & security and child safeguarding and appropriate level of scheduled inductions on SCI Fraud policy, HR Policies & practices, organizational vision & mission, work processes, etc.
· Ensure that the performance of field staffs is managed with the existing performance management process inclusive of setting of job objectives, mid-term performance review and annual performance assessments.
· Ensure that probationary objectives are developed for probationers and their performances are reviewed accordingly for decision.
· Work with and support managers to assess development needs and performance gap analysis of their respective staffs.
· Ensure and provide training to new joiners on SCI performance management process.
· Ensure implementation of merit based salary increment on annual basis
· Counsel and coach managers on employee related issues and promote an engaged and positive culture;
· Appropriately investigate and resolve grievances and complaints;
· Conduct confidential assessment, short-term counselling, and follow-up services to field office based employees who have personal and/or work-related problems that affect attendance, work performance, and conduct.
HRIS and Effort Reporting
Coordinate and monitor registration of new employees into the HRIS system and ensure
- updating of staffing changes on the system within 3 days.
· Provides Human Resources information for management and staff based on data analysis and interpretations.
- Maintain confidentiality in respect of all staff records whether manual or computer maintained.
- Coordinate submission of required HR information to CO HRIS Coordinator on regular basis and when requested.
- Liaise with managers and employees and ensure online submission of timesheet as per the standard set timeline.
- Work together with CO HR team to establish a recognizable “employer of choice” reputation for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Communicate with managers and employees regularly to establish rapport, gauge morale, and replicate good HR practices.
Reporting and communication
- Prepare and present to Deputy HR director and POD comprehensive monthly/quarterly report on key result areas in relation to the post.
- Assist the Deputy HR Director in the preparation of the annual HRD department report.
- Prepare reports of field visits conducted and share with concerned FOMs, FO HR person and Deputy HRD.
- Together with other team, conduct periodic visit to field offices in support of HRD activities.
- Ensure maintenance of personal files with all required documents in each FO and flag non-compliance for appropriate measures.
- Maintain updated structure of the hub and its field offices and assist managers in implementation of changes on structural arrangement.
- Assist in the development and updating of HR policies, procedures and processes.
- Provide necessary support and HR information to POD as demanded.
Perform other special HR projects as assigned.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
KEY COMPETENCIES (Save the Children competency framework)
- Developing Self & Others (Accomplished)
- Problem Solving and decision Making (Accomplished)
- Working effectively with others (Accomplished)
- Communicating with impact (Accomplished)
- Networking (Accomplished)
- Minimum BA degree in Human Resource, Business Administration and/or Management. M.A. degree in relevant field of study is preferable.
- 8 years of relevant experience as generalist, out of which 3 years of experience at managerial or Specialist or on a more senior HR role
- Experience of dealing with difficult and sensitive situations in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Experience working in a large and complex organizational set up
- Experience in staff management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY.
- Up to date knowledge of employment legislation and HR best practice.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Effective -excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritise and delegate
- Ability to seek out, manage and influence opportunities for continuous improvement and change.
- Ability to ensure that the highest standards of quality and customer care are achieved
- Enthusiastic team player
- Positive attitude and good interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate Gender sensitivity in all responsibilities.
- Capable of working on own projects and taking responsibility for work load
- Ability to work in a complex challenging and sensitive environment
- Analytical mind
- Possess good judgment and decision making capability.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should send the following
through ethiojobs.net before or on April 6, 2019.
a. A CV (not more than 3 pages)
b. A cover letter (not more than one page)
c. A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with the application. You will provide them upon request.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STATE THE CODE OF THE VACANCY ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL.
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely
safe for children. We undertake rigorous procedures during the recruitment process including
background checks to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join
our organisation and all candidates will therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
In the selection of its staff, Save the Children is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities.
Note: All travel costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam or interview.
Apr 6, 2019Deadline
Apr 6, 2019