Health Program Associate
Founded in 2002 by President William J. Clinton, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) works to broaden access to life-saving treatment for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria patients in the poorest parts of the world. As part of this mission, CHAI’s ‘Access Programs’ approach global public health challenges with market-based strategies, using simultaneous engagement on both the supply and demand sides of the market. On the supply side, CHAI engages with suppliers of essential drugs and diagnostics to improve access to products by lowering prices, accelerating new products to market, and sharing market intelligence. On the demand side, CHAI organizes and consolidates demand for health commodities by helping governments to scale up treatment programs, mobilize new resources, improve procurement processes, and enhance local human resource capacity. Working with over 30 governments and other partners, CHAI is focused on large-scale impact on many of the largest barriers to effective treatment and care.
The Laboratory Services Team (LST) is a key source of support for Ministries of Health and CHAI’s country teams, and works to address barriers to access and foster a healthy competitive marketplace for essential diagnostic testing. LST plays the lead role in coordinating work globally on access to diagnostics, working closely with diagnostics manufacturers, governments, and multilateral organizations to lower prices, increase access to testing, and accelerate the entry and uptake of new innovative products.
mHealth is a component of eHealth. mHealth or mobile health supports medical and public health service delivery through the use of mobile devices, such as mobile communication devices such as mobile phones, tablet computers and personal digital assistants (PDAs), and other wireless devices for health services and information. mHealth involves the use and capitalization on a mobile phone’s core utility of voice and short messaging service (SMS) as well as more complex functionalities and applications including general packet radio service (GPRS), and third and fourth generation mobile telecommunications (3G and 4G systems). mHealth applications include the use of mobile devices in collecting community and clinical health data, delivery of healthcare information to practitioners, researchers, and patients, stock monitoring, health education and many others
The Clinton Health Access Initiatives (CHAI), through its Laboratory Services Team (LST) has been working on various mHealth initiatives mainly in relation to furthering efficiency within laboratory services.
The projects undertaken include:
- Expedited laboratory result delivery through SMS printers
- Mobile based remote connectivity for POC laboratory analyzers for improved data management
- Patient appointment reminder systems using SMS.
We are currently looking for a mHealth Program Associate to support the tasks indicated in the essential functions below. The mHealth Program Associate will support LST’s mHealth initiatives and all aspects of implementation, including product development, establishing and managing private and public partnerships, implementation and scale up plans, and in-country operational management. LST believes that mHealth can play an important role in expanding the use of diagnostics and increasing their efficiency. The mHealth Program Associate will support efforts across several countries where CHAI operates. S/he will help develop strategy, monitor implementation plans, and support in country implementation and operation. The mHealth Program Associate will report to the Program Manager for mHealth and work closely across the entire Laboratory Services Team.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication skills. S/he must be able to function independently and with flexibility and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic. The right candidate will have a strong interest in innovation and technology, with a passion for creative problem solving.
- Support the strategy, design and management of the mHealth projects.
- Help countries formulate and document functional requirements for the development, maintenance and support of mHealth solution.
- Work closely with the mHealth team in product development, in country implementation and support, including product testing, technology development and adaptation.
- Provide technical assistance and operational support to country-based teams
- Support in country implementation, evaluation and evidence generation of mHealth projects
- Coordinate in country implementation, data management processes, engage in data analysis and result dissemination of Point of Care Laboratory Diagnostic (POC) mobile connectivity solutions with the mHealth team.
- Help develop in-country mHealth implementation best practices and tools for M&E
- Support the design and development of a supply side strategy for mHealth
- Build market intelligence with an objective to define target technology profile.
- Encourage the development of new mHealth solutions
- Facilitate and coordinate market entry of mHealth solutions
- Attract new investors through demonstration that the market is lucrative and accessible.
- Help Introduce new acquisition models of mHealth solutions (e.g. leasing, open source etc.)
- Facilitate public/private partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of experience working on new product development in the social enterprise, non-profit, or private sector space.
- Excitement about taking an idea from concept to development to large-scale implementation.
- Strengths in strategy development and design; deep understanding of solution development, business models, and market-based innovations strongly preferred.
- Experience in mobile or technology industry is preferable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver compelling presentations
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Ability to learn on the job quickly
- Detail-oriented with strong organization skills
- Ability to handle multiple work streams simultaneously and work independently
- Available for up to 75% travel
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Previous CHAI experience
- Pharmaceutical / healthcare industry experience
- Experience working in management consulting, investment banking, or similar environment
- Experience living or working abroad, particularly in developing countries
- Familiarity with global health issues
- Fluency in French, Portuguese and/or Spanish