Health Officer (Health System Strengthening) NOB Fixed Term (for Ethiopian Nationals), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
UNICEF is looking for qualified applicants the following open position
Health Officer (Health System Strengthening) NOB Fixed Term (for Ethiopian Nationals), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job no: 547781
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Location: Ethiopia Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Health
How can you make a difference?
The Health System Strengthening Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the Health Program within the Country Program from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing a variety of technical and administrative program tasks to facilitate program development, implementation, and program progress monitoring, evaluating and reporting of results.
This new position is needed to define strategies and steps to support health system strengthening for the country new initiatives such as upgrading the Health Management Information System, Civil Registration and Vital Statistics, Community Based Health Insurance, Evidence Generation and costing of services, Community Based Health services, and scaling up Emergency Response and System Resilience With guidance from the section planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, the incumbent will support the set up and fully integration of these new priority areas into the National Health Information System. The incumbent will strengthen the Government capacity to collect, and analyze quality, timely, C-MNCH data and integrate with birth and child mortality data to contribute to newborn and child health and protection.
Key function, accountability and related duties/tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support to program development and planning
- Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
1. Support to program development and planning
- In close collaboration with the section PME specialist collects and analyzes data for the Situation Analysis, programme/project planning, management, and monitoring and evaluation purposes. Analyzes programme implementation reports and evaluates in relation to established programme recommendations and plans of action. Reports the outcome of analyses and proposes corrective actions.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of health needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions,
- preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
2. Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Undertakes ongoing visits to UNICEF project sites, assesses local conditions and resources, and monitors UNICEF inputs. Communicates with partners and local counterpart authorities on project feasibility and effectiveness, including the flow of supply and non-supply assistance.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Undertakes follow-up actions on programme implementation activities and prepares reports. Drafts changes in the programme workplans, as required.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
3.Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution.
- Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on health and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Attends technical cooperation meetings, prepares notes and undertakes follow-up actions related to programme implementation.
4.Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs. c5Jax6f DmW5Cx
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) on health programs to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of health programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree in public health/nutrition, family health, health research, epidemiology and bio statistics, global/international health or other health related sciences is required.
- A Minimum of five years of experience is required in managing Public Health programs at different levels. Solid Experience in Health system strengthening, previous Working knowledge of HMIS and demonstrated experience in the health systems, technical and programmatic aspects of community based maternal, newborn and child health, health information and other health programs are required.
- Experience in HMIS particularly C-HIS, knowledge of the Ethiopian health system, experience in health/nutrition program/project development in UN system agency or organization are an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impact results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Female qualified candidates who meet the requirement of the post are highly encouraged to apply.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
How to apply
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.To apply click the following link
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Closing Date: Feb 03 2022 E. Africa Standard Time
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: