Head of Programme, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position
Head of Programme, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Ethiopia Muti-Country Office (ETMCO) covers Ethiopia, Sudan, and Djibouti. Its activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources, and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply, and financial management. The role contributes to the development and implementation of strategies to enhance the competencies and position of UNOPS in sustainable project management and services to partners, stakeholders, and UN system partners.
The Head of Programme (HoP) reports directly to the Country ETMCO Director who provides direction and general supervision. S/he is responsible for programme development planning and preparation and for managing all stages of programming to achieve results in the area/s of responsibility. The Head of Programme is a leadership role which contributes to the development and implementation of strategies to enhance the competencies and position of UNOPS in sustainable project management and services to partners, stakeholders and UN system partners.
Summary of key functions
- Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Programme development and planning
- Manage programme resources
- Partnership networking and advocacy
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Health and Safety
1. Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Accept responsibility for project portfolio oversight as delegated by the ETMCO Director and through the role of Project Executive on Project Boards.
- Establish and execute the programme implementation plans in collaboration with the team and partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely delivery and client-oriented services.
- Monitor and supervise the timely and cost-effective implementation of the programme according to UNOPS goals and partner expectations, agreed quality standards, approved budget and full cost recovery, and in line with signed Legal Agreements
Supervise the Programme Management Office (PMO) and its set up, to ensure that project management governance, policies, processes and methods are complied with and practiced according to the UNOPS standards, best project management practices are promoted, and overall assurance of projects is provided.
- Ensure proactive programme and project risk identification and assessment and implementation of adequate mitigation measures.
- Mentor and assist Project Managers in planning, execution and delivery of allocated projects, ensuring incorporation of best practice project management processes.
Facilitate timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting.
2. Programme development and planning
- Support the ETMCO Director in ensuring the financial sustainability of the programme and delivery of desired results, compliance with organisational strategies, rules, regulations and standards of performance.
- Submit mandated reports and critical issues to the ETMCODirector and clients, to drive future process improvement and business development planning.
- Analyse and keep abreast of political and development trends in the geographical area, to identify and propose to the ETMCODirector areas for UNOPS engagement and support based on priorities in the relevant geography, strategic areas of focus and comparative advantage.
- Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of programme/business recommendations for the review and approval of the ETMCO Director.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonisation of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
- Act as the Gender Focal Point for the ETMCO, assume accountability for the Gender Mainstreaming in the Country Office/Multi Country Office, including Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan being actioned and timely implemented, as well as ensuring that the office has required gender mainstreaming capacity and knowledge, and that gender is mainstreamed into relevant projects, programs, and processes.
3. Manage programme resources
- Plan and propose to the ETMCODirector, required programme resources (human and financial).
- Compile from the Project Managers, monitor and submit revenue and expenditure forecasts based on UNOPS and ETMCO financial goals.
- Determine pricing strategies based on UNOPS pricing policy and models to ensure an appropriate balance between revenue and development capacity within UN mandate and spirit.
- Manage programme resources in accordance with UNOPS standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework and financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit, manage and develop programme personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encourage the formation of diverse teams.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Plan, conduct and/or respond to UNOPS performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
4. Partnership, networking and advocacy
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNOPS competencies in project service delivery and management.
- Support the business development function by identifying and developing new business and partnership/customer opportunities.
- Work closely with the partnership unit to ensure and facilitate the capture of lessons learnt from programme and project implementation into new opportunities and engagement development, as well as the adequate identification of risks and mitigation measures.
- Contribute to current and future growth plans for the ETMCO, ensuring alignment with the UNOPS Strategic Plan.
- Support Communication Specialists to develop communication strategies to maximise communication impact and outreach and build awareness of UNOPS goals and competencies to reinforce UNOPS competitive edge as a provider of sustainable projects results.
- At the request of the ETMCO Director participate and/or represent the ETMCO in inter-agency discussions and planning to ensure UNOPS position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
5. Knowledge management and innovation
Keep abreast of and incorporate best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programme delivery and results.
Operationalise and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
Draft policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environments.
Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programme.
6. Health and Safety
The HoP is responsible for leading by example on health and safety matters and for executing his/her HSSE responsibilities and accountabilities for the portfolio, in accordance with corporate policies, in particular ensuring relevant project personnel are adequately trained, mandatory inspections are conducted and Health and Safety incidents are timely reported.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful performance by the Head of Programme directly impacts on achievement of programme results and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- A Master’s Degree in Engineering, Project Management, Public Administration, Social Science or other relevant related field is required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Project Management, Public Administration, Social Science or other relevant field in combination with additional two (2) years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements required above.
PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner is an asset.
Programme/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) is an asset.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in combination of strategic, managerial leadership with at least 3 years managing infrastructure projects, or programme or portfolio in a large international and/or corporate organization is required.
- At least three (3) years of leadership experience is required.
- At least two (2) years experience in project planning and scheduling, stakeholders management and budget management is required.
- Experience in risk management is an asset.
- UN system organizations experience preferably in a developing country is desirable.
Fluency in written, reading and spoken English Language is required.
Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modeling behavior.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept in writing and orally, clearly and convincingly.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
Strong capacity building ability
Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA-3) Contract level: IICA-3 /ICS11 Contract duration: open-ended (subject to organizational requirements, available funds and satisfactory performance) For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Work life Harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Addis Ababa is a family duty station.
UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How To Apply
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://unjobs.org/vacancies/1649083768144
Closing Date:April 17,2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: