Graphics Designer Job at UNOPS
Graphics Designer Job at UNOPS
- Organization: UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement – Administrative support
- Occupational Groups:
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2017-11-13
Background Information – Job-specific
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as UNECA, UNICEF, UNEP, WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETOH activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources, and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply, and financial management. Under the general supervision of the Heads of the Language Units, and the direct supervision of the Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant (Supervisor), the Individual Contractor ensures effective delivery of desktop publishing in the Publications Section, ensuring timely, reliable, high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she works in close collaboration with the Publications Teams, ensuring successful delivery and completion of day-to-day office functions.
The Graphics Designer, under an Individual Contractor Agreement, will be working in the Publications Section located in the Public Information and Knowledge Management Division. Under the general supervision of the Chief of Printing and Publishing Unit, and the direct supervision of the Publications Officer the incumbent is responsible for providing advice, creative ideas, implementing graphic designs jobs for client projects and creatively designing and laying out high quality information materials and print media projects in form of publications, posters, newsletters, brochures, banners and other related jobs as required.
The incumbent will be expected to complete projects in a timely manner, once specifications have been agreed upon. The incumbent is also expected to follow set guidelines and procedures governing publications at ECA.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Conceptualizes and develops design proposals for review by clients by converting ideas, statistical information, illustrations, photographs, raw text, vector graphics, bit-mapped images and other graphic elements into finished files for film out put. These tasks are achieved by using the appropriate graphic software such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat for final page imposition before film out putting.
- Edits photographs/text/graphics/artwork, changes image size, resolutions and cropping. Choose colour modes converting images from one colour to another convert to indexes colour (CMYK, RGB), make colour and tonal adjustment checking scan quality and tonal range, setting colour the highlights and shadow values, adjusting the colour balance, moving and deleting images, grouping and ungrouping objects, modifying shapes and image sharpening.
- Final production of the output, sends final electronic files after approval for plate/digital output.
- Completes daily production statistical information and other duties as directed by the Chief, or the Production Officer.
- Provides guidance and support throughout the project production process; coordinates and follows-up with clients and other relevant parties (e.g. copy and proofreaders, production staff, library and cartography staff, etc.) and ensures that project in on schedule.
- Prepares all approved designs in electronic format for final review and printing; reviews color and print proofs as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
The incumbent controls the quality of graphics (DTP) files created. Extreme amount of concentration is required during DTP works to ensure that the files are of very high output downstream. Errors in DTP operations could lead to loss of material, time, and scheduling problems leading to late deliveries. This leads to loss of client’s trust and poor quality of products.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Diploma in Graphics Arts/Design from recognized college is an advantage
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities related to desktop publishing.
- Conversant in Microsoft Office
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Contract type, level and duration
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.