Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peace building contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations. We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UNOPS Ethiopia office has in the recent past signed MOUs with Government Ministries and other UN agencies to implement projects on Infrastructure, Procurement and Human Resources Management In order to efficiently and effectively serve our partners, the UNOPS Ethiopia office is in need of an experienced Finance Assistant.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Associate and overall guidance of the Head of Support Services, the Finance Assistant will provide a variety of specialized finance, accounting, and clerical functions related to Project Accounting, Budgeting and Financial Reporting. The Finance Assistant ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work and promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the UNOPS Operations, Programme and Projects’ staff in the UNOPS Ethiopia Office for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Budgetary and monitoring control
- Treasury functions
- Accounting, administrative and clerical support
- Financial Reporting
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Input to the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2.Ensures efficient budgetary and monitoring control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Budgets in conformity with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations & procedures of the funding source.
- Assistance in information-gathering for budget preparation.
- Assistance in the review and adjustment of project budget revisions.
- Maintenance of the budget database by verifying and entering approved budgets.
- Review and adjustment of project expenditures/obligations against the approved budgets.
3.Provides support to Treasury, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing to ensure that documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of services rendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials; payment to sub-contractors are in compliance with terms and conditions of agreement.
- Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations, rules
- Review and confirmation of validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensuring availability of budget and funds.
- Maintenance and control of petty cash fund and preparation of report for replenishment.
- Preparation of payroll register and processing of monthly payroll.
- Frequent contact with the local bank to obtain day-to-day information on rates of exchange, interest rates, changes in procedures and bank regulations, etc.
4.Provides accounting, administrative and clerical support to the Finance Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of vouchers and review of supporting documents to ensure completeness, accuracy and correctness of accounts codes charges; entry of transactions in the computerized accounting and finance system.
- Monitoring of financial recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information.
- Preparation of monthly expenditure schedules and quarterly, year-end statements.
- Analysis of reports, investigation and adjustment as required.
- Communication with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information, etc. to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process.
- Monitoring of cash requirements and expenditures.
- Agreement on revised MSA increases of approved fee
- Budget revisions in accordance with agreements and guidelines of funding agency.
- Adjustment of project expenditures as required.
- Proper closure of projects and refund of unspent balances to Donors/UN Agencies.
- Final budget revisions and final financial statements signed by Govt. / UNDP (United Nations Development Programme).
- Reimbursement of remaining funds according to agreement (Government, Donor, Dev. Bank).
- Calculation and allocation of interest earnings
- Provision of finance Atlas (UNOPS ERP Financial System, PeopleSoft) support to field offices and regional office staff for Project Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Records and files updated in the system
5.Ensures accurate financial reporting,focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of reporting systems and reports to meet Funding source requirements.
- Preparation of financial and statistical reports.
- Preparation of periodic financial statements to funding sources and external clients in compliance with established reporting requirements.
- Preparation of financial statements against specific projects for Audit Certification and forwarding to Lending institutions/Donors/UN Agencies and Governments.
- Reconciliation of expenditures recorded in ATLAS.
- Reconciliation of expenditures reported via Financial Dashboard.
- Assistance to Portfolio Managers with ATLAS reporting and analysis.
- Resolution of financial reporting tool (UNOPS Financial Reporting System) issues with Global Service Center.
- Provision of reports as needed for Year-End close.
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
7. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the UNOPS financial services. Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and a client-oriented approach enhances UNOPS’ capability to effectively and efficiently manage financial resources.
8. Perform other duties as assigned by Head of Support Services.
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Planning and Organizing
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to financial resources management, including screening and collecting documentation, financial data processing, filing, provision of information
- Good knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Ability to interact and communicate within a team and with clients
- Strong IT skills
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Education/Experience/Language requirements Education:-Completion of secondary school or equivalent. Diploma or certification in finance-related subjects or business administration an asset.
Experience:- 3-5 years of relevant finance experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions)and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements:-Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.