Field Security Associate, Semera, Ethiopia- UNHCR
UNHCR is looking for qualified and competent applicant for the following position:
Field Security Associate, Semera, Ethiopia- UNHCR
Eligible Applicants: This position is advertised open to Group 1, Group 2, if applicable and external applicants.
Duties and Qualifications: Field Security Associate
- Organizational Setting and Work Relationships The Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security. The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer (FSA or Head of Office) who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field as required in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; gather and analyse information about the security situation during field missions.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the, Security Risk Management process for the designated area ;
- Conduct checks for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies.
- Monitor and supervise the guard force In accordance with relevant UNSMS policies and guidance.
- Assist UNHCR Protection Colleagues in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern. c6NYfat DmW5B2
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant security risk management processes and measures for the country concerned to include security situation updates, , the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road air and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
- Maintain liaison and build relationships with Host Government Security Forces and security counterparts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Certificates and/or Licenses Security and Safety (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Desirable High level of knowledge in the security field
- Functional Skills IT-Computer Literacy FS-Field Security Operations FS-Security Analysis CO-Cross-cultural communication (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Core Competencies Accountability Communication Organizational Awareness Teamwork & Collaboration Commitment to Continuous Learning Client & Result Orientation
- Managerial Competencies Empowering and Building Trust Judgement and Decision Making
- Cross-Functional Competencies Analytical Thinking Political Awareness Change Capability and Adaptability
Language Requirements: For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- Position Competencies: Competencies as defined in Job Profile
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Nature of the Position: On 4 November 2020, military confrontations between federal and regional forces in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, which borders Afar region, led the Government to declare a State of Emergency. Since then, and despite the announcement of an official end to military operations in late November, large areas of Ethiopia’s Afar region are still affected by armed clashes and insecurity, leading to further forced displacement of population particularly in Afar. Since fighting broke out, mass casualties have been reported in different parts of Afar, while over 50,000 Ethiopians have fled to neighboring Sudan. The situation has adversely affected the refugee population who resided in Afar. The refugee camp of Berhale counts as of December 2021 20,639 refugees, while Aysaita refugee camp counts 26,149 refugees as of December 2021. Aysaita is 70km far from Samara, Barahle is about 480km far from Samara. Since July 2021, UNHCR has scaled up its interventions in Afar Region following the conflict in Tigray Region and subsequent internal displacements. With its partners, UNHCR is responding to the emergency caused by internal displacement by distributing core relief items, emergency shelter kits; enhanced its protection activities and actively participates to the coordination of the response together with the UN Sister Agencies, (I)NGOs as to support the regional authorities of Afar to respond to the multiple and urgent needs. As of January 2022, the estimated displacement in Afar Region according to governmental sources amounts to 413,000 IDPs. UNHCR is therefore increasing its staffing resources to respond to the additional needs, including provision of relief assistance, protection and coordination.
The Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises, and asset security. The incumbent is supervised by a Head of the Field Office who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues. Medical background/training is an added advantage.
Living and working Conditions: Staff members should be prepared to operate under challenging conditions with limited resources in the Samara UNHCR Field Office and camps, Aysaita and Barhale.
The Field Office deals primarily with several local camp environments with inherent risks to staff safety and health. Regardless of information campaigns, there are realistically few, or no COVID-19 protocols adhered to by the camp(s) population. Staff wear masks but will often work within large groups of refugees who do not. There are several clinics and pharmacies within a 5 km radius of Samara that offer basic services. The nearest hospital, run by the government, is located 10km away. It is recommended that staff with prescriptions should come with at least 3 months of prescription medication.
There are, however, daily one -hour flights to the capital city, Addis Ababa, which could facilitate the replenishment of medical and other supplies.The region is extremely hot, especially from May to September. Consequently, the region is open for business from 7:00 am until 6:00 pm with most commercial and government entities closing between 12:00 noon to 03:00 pm.
Presently, being a newly opened office, the Samara Field Office does not offer guest house services. Staff will have to rent in nearby hotels or subject to availability, seek accommodation in the WFP guest house. Banking services including ATM, Visa and Mastercard services are available in this town.
This Job is on a Temporary Appointment.
Knowledge of Local Language (Afar and Amharic) is desirable.
An eliminator or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NB:Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following
Closing Date:The closing Date for Submission of Applications is Monday 07 February 2022 (Mid Night Ethiopia Time)
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels:
- Total Jobs 32 Jobs
- Location Addis Ababa