Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
Job Title:Emergency officer/ Roving, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia -Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel and mission to field locations in Ethiopia (up to 85%)
Reporting To:Emergency Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 Months with possibility of extensions
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: As a member of the mobile response team, the Emergency Officer/Roving is responsible for facilitating and ensuring timely delivery of Emergency response (NFIs and MPC assistances) in IDP sites in Ethiopia. The position holder is responsible for the identification, selection, and verification of beneficiaries for NFIs distribution and cash-based intervention. He/she is also responsible for ensuring that day-to-day documentation and financial management functions are performed in accordance with DRC policies, agreed NFIs distribution, and Standard Cash Operating Procedures (SOPs). The Emergency Officer/roving supports and contributes to the organization and implementation of all distribution activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Deploy at short notice to support to start or scale up of emergency responses or to provide support to the area programs and strengthening emergency response operations.
- In accordance with program guidelines carry out the registration process of program beneficiaries. Always ensure the process is transparent, comprehensive and carried out in a dignified and participatory manner.
- Take deployment assignments and conduct needs assessments to help program gain a better understanding of the scope and location of the crisis.
Develop detailed work plan and implement the project activities as specified in the work plan.
- Responsible to deliver emergency response activities in intervention areas and implement quick responses for brief period as required.
- Assist in preparation of PR and procurement plan emergency supplies/materials and services to be ordered from Emergency Response unit in Addis
- Assist in tracking of emergency supplies, dispatch, distribution in different disaster affected including documentation.
- Prepare and implement the distribution of NFI including site selection, site preparation, verification of registration status, distribution, restocking, crowd control, and the handling of complaints. Supervise volunteers on site.
- Work with local representatives and figures to ensure the program is well understood by the community and is in line with local expectations and requirements.
- Work with local representatives and figures to ensure the program is well understood by the community and is in line with local expectations and requirements. Inform the community of the date, location and eligibility requirement for the distribution.
- Foster cooperative professional relationship between communities, technical experts, and service providers.
- Promptly identify and recommend solutions to technical issues.
- Prepare payment requests and vouchers for registration and distribution material.
- Monitor progress against work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays.
- Collaborate with MEAL during the post-distribution monitoring of all distributed items within 2 weeks-3 weeks of the initial distribution.
- Collect and compile key distribution data including registration lists, distribution lists and distribution reports.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation activities directly or by providing feedback to the monitoring and evaluation team.
- Carry out any tasks assigned by the supervisor in general.
- All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- 3 years of NGO field experience in a similar position.
- Good communication skills (reading, writing, speaking).
- Ability to write weekly activity reports and communication pieces.
- Spoken and written English is essential.
- An experience in MPC and emergency supplies distribution;
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to determine priorities
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- knowledge and understanding of current contexts and emergencies in Ethiopia;
- Experience implementing emergency response interventions and experience in deployment assignment in relevant emergency;
- Ability to work under pressure, long working hours and with high workload;
- Proven ability to work in an unstable, insecure environment
- Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of IDP crisis.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, social sciences, community development and other related
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than April 5, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap. Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
Deadline:April 5, 2022.
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: