Department & Location Plan International African Union (AU) Liaison & Pan Africa Program Office – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to (position): HR and office Administrator
How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission? Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organization committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice. We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International AU Liaison and Pan Africa Program Office is based here in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Plan International has a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the AU and has signed the host agreement for this AU Liaison and Pan Africa Program office with the Ethiopia Government.
Plan’s Liaison office to the AU and Pan Africa Program is aligned with Plan International’s strategy One Plan One Goal pursuing contact with key decision-makers who can support the realization of lasting change for children. The Pan Africa/AU Liaison office contributes to a lasting environment in which the rights of children and youth are respected, protected, and fulfilled. The office will realize its interventions within the AU and its Agencies and Mechanisms across Africa through the One Plan AU Strategy. Accordingly, the office will promote child rights and child protection, education, youth empowerment/employability, striving for non-discrimination, equality and inclusion as well as ensure child participation. The office is actively involved in:
- Improving implementations of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC) and all other relevant AU resolutions on the promotion and protection of child rights.
- Enhancing international law and policy development on child rights and child protection.
- Mainstreaming child rights at the AU, particularly into other human rights processes.
The Pan Africa Driver and Logistic Assistance will support the AU Liaison and Pan Africa Program office by working closely with the HR and Office Administrator to develop, manage and coordinate the , Transportation, Administrative and Logistic systems.
- Performing driving duties on the basis of daily trip schedules and co-responsible for the feasibility of the schedule and for ensuring that the agreed departure and arrival times are met.
- Reporting of any problems (delays) in the schedule and ensuring that the HR and office Administrator is updated about his/her whereabouts at any time, suggesting solutions for accumulative delays and schedule disturbances when necessary.
- Responsible for the condition of the vehicle he/she is driving by performing daily, weekly and distance-driven vehicle checks to ensure good condition of the vehicles.
- Following up maintenance of vehicles in an external garage when advised to do so by the HR and office Adminstrator.
- Ensuring the accuracy and completeness of trip records, vehicle logbooks/sheets and fuel and maintenance records; updated vehicle logbooks/sheets, trip- and fuel records at any time;
- Ensuring every day that the condition of the vehicle he/she is driving is fit for use;
- Immediate communication to the supervisor of any deviations from schedules previously agreed, feedback about schedule feasibility and accurate estimation of travel times.
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position:
The driving role:
- performs driving duties on the basis of a daily trip schedule, as well as upon ad-hoc request from HR and office Administrator;
- drives safely and carefully, observing the speed limits and traffic rules; takes extra caution in bad weather or if the road is in bad condition.
- follows the Vehicle Management Guidelines and ensures that all passengers do the same, especially with regard to wearing seat belts;
- updates vehicle logbooks/sheets, trip-and fuel records and ensures that they are signed appropriately;
- makes timely requests for refuelling and performs the necessary administration;
- always carries a valid driving license while driving;
- Ensures assigned vehicles are checked every morning for operation of electrical systems, water levels, oil level, brake & clutch fluids level, and accessories are available e.g., jack, spare wheel, wheel spanner, mats, first aid kits, fire extinguishers etc
- Performs daily vehicle checks according to checklist/instruction, and every week inspect assigned vehicles and accessories and fill out the inspection form
- Ensures that the vehicle is in good condition and equipped with the necessary tools and safety materials as well as routinely checks the validity of insurance and next service time and promptly advice the HR and office Administrator;
- Maintains cleanliness of all assigned vehicles (inside and outside)
- Maintains clean personal grooming habits and be in uniform at all times.
- Ensure vehicle has adequate fuel and is fuelled at ¼ tank unless proceeding to the field and recording the quantity & km reading on the Log sheet.
- Liaise and prepare well in advance in collaboration with persons travelling well ahead for timing.
- Report and make booking for routine servicing of assigned vehicles well in advance to the HR and Office Administrator.
- Report any accidents, damages, loss of items, defecting, and incidents no matter how small or slight to the HR and Office Administrator on arrival or on noting them using the vehicle defect form.
- Report/communicate immediately any route changes while driving staff transport/field to the HR and Office Administrator due to security, bad weather and road conditions as the situation arises.
- Comply with and observe the Ethiopian Traffic Law & organization’s policies on driving at all times.
- Ensure all details on the Log sheets are filled out (date, time, km readings, fuel details), promptly collect used sheets at the end of every month or when filled up, to avoid loss or defacing.
- Responsible for the correct loading and unloading of the vehicle;
- Secures and guards the vehicle while outside the Country Office premises;
- Ensures that the vehicle is not on the road between 7:00 pm and 6:00 am and that all exceptions of this rule have been approved by the HR and Office Administrator or his/her representative
Role related to vehicle maintenance
- Follows up of routine preventive maintenance on PAO vehicles (oil and filter changes, greasing, lubricating) and check-ups according to schedule;
- Assists the HR and Office Administrator with the identification of spare parts and consumables used and with the correct recording of stock transactions;
- Follows/checks maintenance performed by external workshops under the coordination of the RH and Office Administrator;
- Signs for works performed and materials used both internally and externally
- Updates the vehicle logbook accordingly.
Other tasks – Logistic Assistance
- Assist in collection of quotation for different purchases.
- Assist in Organizing the filing system of the Pan African Office
- Assist in bank processes, such as collection of bank advices, Providing payment requests etc
- Assist in Tax and Withholding Tax payable processing to government bodies.
- Support in the logistic process whenever necessary.
- Perform duties assigned by the supervisor.
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Completion of Secondary School Education
- Valid 3rd grade or above Driver’s Licence with no history of major accidents within the last 3 years
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in a similar position.
- Substantial field experience in driving throughout Ethiopia.
Skills Specific to the Post
- Good command of spoken English,
- Very good familiarity with the area the project/program is situated
- Good knowledge of field level realities of humanitarian NGOs work
- Automotive background is an added advantage
Closing date for submission of applications is July 27, 2017.