Driver – Fugnido, Gambella, Ethiopia – UNHCR
UNHCR is looking for qualified and competent applicant for the following position:
Driver – Fugnido, Gambella, Ethiopia- UNHCR
Duties and Qualifications: Driver
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships The Driver in the UNHCR Office is normally supervised directly by the Administrative Officer/Associate/Assistant or another staff member when the scale of the Operation so require it. Besides driving, the incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While the basic function of a driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
The Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver, and collect documents and other items.
- Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards. c6q2Ww8 DmW5BQ
- Perform minor repairs, arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local procedures, are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Ensure that instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed.
- Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Years of Experience / Degree Level For G2D – 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher Field(s) of Education Not applicable
- Certificates and/or Licenses *Driving Licences; (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Relevant Job Experience Essential Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations. Desirable Not specified.
- Functional Skills * DV-Driving Rules and Regulations DV – Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills; (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
- As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
- This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Position Competencies: Competencies as defined in Job Profile
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Nature of the Position
The driver will work within the Admin Team in Fugnido, Ethiopia. The incumbent will be working under the direct supervision of the Admin/ Finance Associate. The driver may be requested to go on missions to other operations within the country.
- Living and Working Conditions Fugnido Field office is a non-family duty station located at 110 Km/ or 2 and half drive from Gambella’s main town in Gambella Region. The security situation is relative calm but unpredictable; sometimes inter communal conflict influences the security situation. The Field Office has an accommodation with modern facilities for staff reducing security risks, subject to availability of rooms. Fugnido’s main town has a limited banking and medical facilities. Staff can travel from/to Fugnido-Gambella via UN/NGOs vehicles or take commercial bus to access banks and other services. There are daily commercial flights between Addis Ababa and Gambella. The Incumbent can live in the provided Guest house for security reasons.
- The diversity of topography in Ethiopia has resulted in a wide variety of climate in the country. The climate in Fugnido is classified as tropical. The hottest season of the region is in March/April. The maximum temperature may rise up to 45 °C, followed by a long rain season. The average annual temperature of Fugnido is 27.6 °C. Road network within the region is often affected by the heavy rainfall during the rainy season, but now under construction. The average annual rainfall is 1148 mm. Remoteness, isolation, and lack of entertainment in social life are the factors to be also considered prior to applying. Security Considerations
- Fugnido is a non-family duty station, and it is currently at Security Level 3 – Moderate. The security situation in Fugnido region has seen a significant deterioration in early 2016. The current security situation in the entire Fugnido region is calm but remains unpredictable. There is an increase of criminality in Fugnido town due to the economic challenges posed by COVID-19. Police have been reporting house breaking and street robbery related criminal activities. The restriction of movement (curfew) is imposed on staff and occasionally on the activities in the field, depending on the development of the security situation. The security situation is expected to remain the same with no major changes according to the current reading of the situation. Road accidents are very common in Ethiopia due to dangerous driving and non-enforcement of traffic laws.
- This Job is on a Temporary Appointment. Knowledge of English is Essential. An eliminatory or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following
The Closing Date for Submission of Applications is Thursday 17 February 2022 (Mid-Night Ethiopia Time).
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia. Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: