UNHCR is looking for qualified and competent applicant for the following position:
The Driver in the UNHCR Office is normally supervised directly by the Administrative Officer/Associate/Assistant or another staff member when the scale of the Operation so require it. Besides driving, the incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While the basic function of a driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
The Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
The Driver position falls under direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Associate and overall supervision of the Admin/Finance Officer in the Sub Office Gambella. The incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organisation. He/she is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While basic function of a Driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, he/she may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles. The incumbent has regular contacts with staff within UNHCR office and with service providers outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver, and collect documents and other items.
- Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs, arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local procedures, are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Ensure that instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed.
- Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G2D – 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher
Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- Driving Licences;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Not specified.
- DV-Driving Rules and Regulations
- DV – Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Technological Awareness
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Competencies as defined in Job Profile
- Knowledge of ”English” is essential.
Place of Work:Addis Ababa
How to Apply
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
An eliminator or complementary written test and oral interview may be administered.
Drivers’ Practical Test will be conducted.
Computer Literacy is an added advantage.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified applicants apply through: unhcr.org