AFRICAN UNION – UNION AFRICAINE – UNIàO AFRICANA
Job Title: DATABASE Administrator / OFFICER
Department: Directorate of Communications and Information
Supervisor: Web Administrator
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
- Analyzing existing data, and establishing required database systems and relevant regular monitoring procedures to evaluate use and effectiveness.
- Managing multimedia database(s)
- Managing journalists database
- Designing, developing and maintaining web-based applications and databases;
- Providing data processing services and specialized assistance in the use of applications and technological development;
- Installation, Configuration and Maintenance of Oracle, SQL or MySQL Database
- Setup and Administration of Database backups and Archives
- Perform User Security, Access Management and Audits
- Setup and Maintenance of High Availability configurations
- Database Monitoring and Health management
- Database disaster recovery planning
- Schedule and perform periodical reviewing to harmonize data needs
- Designing Manuals and training staff members in new work methods and procedures, on a regular basis.
- Assisting the directorate in formulating policies related to the information management system, with due consideration of their long-term benefit;
- Assisting the directorate in implementing approved recommendations by preparing or revising instructions and procedural manuals and instructing staff in new work methods and procedures;
3. QUALIFICATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field with strong mathematics analytical skills;
- Certificates in Database Management and Work Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of 3 years of progressive professional experience in the field of ICT including three years of international experience in Information Technology
- Must have minimum of three (3) years working experience in Multimedia and Journalists Database Management
- Extensive knowledge of Database applications and Website Development is required
- Exposure to United Nations (UN) information and communications infrastructure would be an asset as would experience working with a multilateral, regional or international organization is required.
- Must have a three years working experience in communication and information department in international organization.
5. OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS:
- Computer literacy; Management experience, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Good communication and negotiating skills;
- good planning and organizational skills.
6. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages.
Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
7. AGE REQUIREMENT:
Candidates must preferably be between 25 and 35 years old.
8. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of One (1) years, of which the first three months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability. 9.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 62,431.73 inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 50,828.14 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than 30th December 2013.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)