Please do not accept payment requests at any of the recruitment phases!
Call for consultancy/ verbal autopsy data collectors to identify cause of death for deaths happening at home
The International development for research center (IDRC) funded project in Ethiopian public health association EPHA is aiming at identifying causes of death for those deaths happening at home in Amhara region of Ethiopia. The project will be using sampling frame of deaths captured by the Civil Registration System in East Gojom zone of Amhara region. Data collectors will also enumerate missed deaths in nearby houses to registered deaths by the Civil Registration System.
The aim of the project is to design a standard electronic verbal autopsy procedure to capture cause of death for those deaths happening at home in Ethiopia. In addition to this, this project will measure the coverage of death registration by the Civil Registration System (CRS). It will also bridge the gap that the CRS had in relation to identifying cause of death.
The project wanted to hire 16 experienced data collectors from East Gojam zone in Amhara regional state of Ethiopia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive an intensive training on electronic verbal autopsy procedure
- Contact the Wereda Civil Registration Office to ask permission on the conduct of the study.
- Enumerate household in which deaths had happened in the post 3 years.
- Contact eligible respondents from each household in which deaths have happened and explain the purpose of the study and receive consent for the conduct of the study
- Identify a family care taker for the deceased household member and convince to participate in the study
- Conduct the verbal autopsy data collection according to the guidelines received during the training.
- Debrief the respondent on the information the data collector received from her/him
- Meet with the supervisor to submit completed questionnaire
- Discuss work progress with the supervisor
- Submit weekly plan and report to the research team.
- Handle the project property and documents with extra care
- Report challenges encountered the same day of their occurrence
- Respect community socio-cultural norms.
- The data collector should be committed to work in hard to work environment.
- A minimum of College Degree in Statistics, Demography, Sociology and related fields.
- Skill in Information Technology Is mandatory
- Familiarity with the data collection area or locality is an asset
- Previous experience In social and/or health data collection experience is an asset
- Fluency in English as well as Amharic languages
Time frame and Submission
- Duration of assignment: 3 month with possible extension
- Place of data collection: All woredas of east Gojam zone, Amhara region