Country Financial Controller / Senior Accountant
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
Function and Geopolitical overview:
The Finance function is structured along functional lines with the aim of embedding the ‘three lines of defence’ model at its heart, clearly separating the financial control (first line) and risk and assurance (second line) functions, ensuring the integrity of our results and the strength of our controls. This will allow the organisation to focus more easily on business decision making, strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting on the basis of accurate monthly results.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Country Financial Controller / Senior Accountant to join our Finance Department based in our Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Office. You will join us on a full-time basis on an indefinite contract and in return you will receive a competitive salary in addition to other benefits applicable within the Organisation which include:
- You will be entitled to 25 Days Annual Leave
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- You will also be able to join regular professional development, training and skills programmes to develop your experience and skills.
- Flexible Working hours
- Access to career opportunity within the regional clusters as well as global relationship building
Why Work For Us?
We are a team and as such we take pride in being an open and flexible business unit. We are passionate about delivering high quality, efficient, result oriented financial services within the British Council – you will play a key role in helping to shape the future of our business moving forward.
What You Will Be Doing
Working with both Internal and External partners at British Council, you will need:
- You will play an integral role within the business, managing end to end accounting process in Ethiopia, including month and year end close, and ensure consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
- You will also manage a team of accountants who may be based in multiple locations.
- You will provide financial accounting and reporting support to donor-funded projects in Ethiopia, and have oversight of grants administration disbursements, monitoring for compliance and making value-added proposition on process improvements.
- In addition, you will be liaising with the internal business partners including regional financial accounting team, regional risk and compliance team as well as external relationship with banks and tax authorities.
What We Are Looking For
To be suitable for this position you must;
- Have a minimum of two years post qualified experience
- Be a Qualified/Chartered Accountant(ACCA, ACA, CPA, CIMA, etc.)
- Possess knowledge of an ERP system
- Although not essential, experience working with SAP and also experience working with a charity, NGO/INGO is desirable.
How to Apply
Note that you should only fill out the application after thoroughly reading through the ROLE PROFILE & GUIDANCE NOTES.
Closing date for applications is 5 September 2019 (23:59 UK time)
Our Equality Commitment:
Valuing diversity is essential to the British Council’s work. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect the diversity of UK society at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. In line with the British Council’s Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks.