Country Finance Controller
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is looking for qualified applicants for the following open position.
Job Title:Country Finance Controller
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Contract(1 year)
Salary: As Per Company Scale
Location: Ethiopia, Djibouti
- Provide onsite support and conduct periodic spot checks, reviews, and audits of DRC operations (Ethiopia and Djibouti) through review and audit of financial systems, and other policies and procedures to determine the accountability and assess the reliability of the control systems as a whole and to identify the measures needed to ensure that the systems are functioning at the desired levels of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Geographic scope: Country (Ethiopia and Djibouti)This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations (Ethiopia and Djibouti) while overseeing country activities.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESProvide remote and onsite support to DRC Offices (Ethiopia and Djibouti) related to document checklist, minimum documentation and review, physical archiving and electronic archiving, audit, and other compliance related matters.
Conduct regular periodic spot checks, internal reviews, and implement action plans (based on both internal and external audit reviews) to address weaknesses and improve internal control systems.
Review and validation of financial records for compliance with DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor policies and procedures for all support units (log, procurement, HR, finance, admin).
Provide technical support to the decentralization process with regards to Finance and ERP/Dynamics systems and tools. Maintain Super User status on Microsoft Dynamics, DRC’s ERP system for finance.
Provide training for finance staff when needed/requested on Microsoft Dynamics and/or other DRC Operations Handbook policies and procedures
Support the Finance Manager with development of SOPs and localized policies as needed based on identified gaps in organizational policies, or based on local requirements (such as statutory audit proceedings for both Ethiopia and Djibouti)
Responsible for regular and ongoing quality check of payment requests/ financial documents prior to payment and providing DRC colleagues with clear feedback / guidance on improvement of systems to avoid payment delays due to lack of documentation.
Monitor use of internal controls and provide guidance to strengthen them
Validate and review compliance self-checks and follow up on action plans
Develop innovative compliance self-checks and collaborate with the Regional Office Compliance department to ensure that areas of poor or weak controls are controlled by implementing new policies and checks on a regular basis.
Prepare internal control review reports; keep up to date on donor compliance rules, regulations, and DRC’s Operations Handbook policies and procedures.
Promote general awareness on internal controls by both Finance, Supply Chain, and Program staff alike.
Assist in investigations into fraud and corruption as requested by DRC’s Code of Conduct Authorizing Officer.
Identify risks and develop/ improve internal control systems to reduce the associated risks
Serve as the focal point for project specific external audits in coordination with the Finance Manager.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Master’s degree in finance or similar field
- At least 3 years’ experience working in compliance functions in the finance field at a similar level position.
- If not compliance related experience, at least 5 years working in Finance field (general).
- Experience working for a large INGO in Ethiopia, with in depth knowledge of INGO rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Experience and expertise in the use of financial system software, preferably an ERP system. Experience with Microsoft products is strongly preferred.
- Full professional proficiency in English is required. French language is a strong asset for support to the Djibouti office, however not required.
Req. No: 1
Place of Work ፦ Addis Ababa
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to October 18, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
Professionalism, impact & expertise
Humanitarian approach & the work we do
Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
Culture, values & strong leadership
Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Deadline: October 18,2020